• Help Support TNDeer:

Guntersville in April

TNReb

I've always wanted to fish that lake. Finally broke down and booked a guided trip there the middle of April. Surely to goodness it'll be better than catching these 14" fish on Old Hickory all summer!

My guess is, you will throw top water and texas rigged finesse worms and catch a lot of 14"ers :) I hope you catch a pig but you might want to make the guide aware that you aren't interested in catching a lot of small ones. Last time I went was in the late summer with a guide and I had to BEG him to fish for a big one. We caught 52 by lunch time on the finesse worm and didn't have a single fish that weighed over 2 lbs.

That is one beautiful lake for sure.
Bowfished there last year in April.
Saw some absolutely HUGE bass.
What I saw of it during daylight it was very pretty though.

Man went back later in the year and caught this one.

Just make sure to tell the guide you are after big fish only and be clear. Guntersville is AWESOME!

2 years ago I was in Austin Tx for a conference and learned that the local lake was a top 5 producer of 10 lb bass in TX. I spent half my saturday afternoons calling guides and finally got one that agreed to take me on sunday morning until noon as my flight left at 1:00 pm. I made it clear that I was an avid bass fisherman and was only after a big fish. Didnt care if we only caught 1 fish all day, if it was big then I'd be just fine and was not interested in catching a bunch.

He tested me for about the first 15 minutes and handed me a few different rods and reels and lures and after I skipped a jig under a dock with a baitcaster, he finally looked at me and said, okay, so you werent full of yugo and actually know what your doing. he said most people just lie to him.

Anyhoo, I caught 5 fish that day, 1 went right at 5-6 lbs. But I hooked the monster. She ate a topwater and jump twice. guide went to net her and she jumped over the net wrapped the trolling motor and snapped the line. She jumped again about 2 minutes later and tossed the plug that we retrieved. After sitting in silence for about 5 minutes, he leaned over and said my biggest fish from here is 13lbs. Your fish didnt weigh 13, but I'd bet my boat it went 11. Still a little sick over that one.

TNReb":1xdpoe7g said:
Mike Carter. Know anything about him?

I know of him from seeing him post on Chattanooga fishing forum. I've heard good things about him but never fished with him. He posts on the forum regularly with some nice bass with his clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't really add much that has not been said, but Guntersville is definitely a beautiful lake. Like was said before, you can get tired of catching 15"-16" fish all day long if you are after bigger ones. My fishing buddy loves to catch those and it wears me slick.

Latest posts

Back