• Help Support TNDeer:

Gut Shot question

huntncoach

Saturday I was fortunate enough to get my first bow kill in four years - just haven't hunted as much nor seen many deer during archery season. Regardless, I shot the deer (doe) coming head on, but almost straight down from my tree. The entry was through the top of the right lung, but the exit was quite a bit farther back. Of course, I went on a field dressed the deer, but there was a lot of stomach and intestinal contents in the body cavity. What's worse, it got warm that late morning and afternoon and I had to help by buddy find his buck he shot about the same time. We did put my deer on ice in a large cooler, but the leftover intestinal junk was still on part of the meat. We hung both deer once we got back home since it was going to be cool and processed the next morning. I just didn't think it smart to keep the tenderloins since they had "marinated" in the literal crap from the deer guts. The same goes for part of the hams, shoulders, and the backstraps. All in all, I got about a gallon and a half of what I though was good meat. Should I have been concerned about consuming the other parts?

I always carry paper towel when hunting. I keep them in the truck. but anyway back to what I was saying. I was tought to wipe out as much I could in the field then wash out when I got home. you can get a lot more out than you think just wiping. I can tell you this though if I gut shot one it sets in the freezer for a minimum of thirty six days it kills bacteria that way.

I wouldn't eat it with gut marinating it. It would taste like gut shot. I've had a little experience with it.
I also try to not wash my meat off unless it's absolutely necessary. I keep a bucket of water next to me and dip my knife in it for the hair. I use care when gutting it and dragging it out to not let leaves and dirt inside of it.

I really don't know if I've ever just washed and rinsed meat off. I'll pick it off with my fingers.

Latest posts

Back