• Help Support TNDeer:

Head Shots on Deer

I had to finish off a doe a few years back that a guy had shot from the road. Her bottom jaw was missing. I heard the shot and everything, she came bolting through the woods towards me. I noticed blood and she didn't look right. I put her down. terrible experience.

Attachments

• EE4CEC5F-45DA-4555-8307-B37E6527A889.jpeg
    EE4CEC5F-45DA-4555-8307-B37E6527A889.jpeg
    610.5 KB · Views: 63
I killed a 8pt in in Hickman county back in the early 90's that had the whole back of his neck missing. It was wide enough to lay your hand in the wound. The wound had healed up and was hard. I never have attempted a neck shot, always figured to much room error. Besides, I like neck roast.

I have never and can't see the reason for trying a headshot with any weapon. I have an uncle who only will take a neck shot but I don't think they are great either. he has missed more deer than I can count. Upside if a clean miss is better than a wounded animal. He's a decent shot but gets all crazy when he sees deer. He missed a huge buck about 5 years ago. He was so rattled it took him 3-4 minutes to regain his ability to speak coherently!

Latest posts

Back