• Help Support TNDeer:

help me pick a new reel 4 b-day

Tnscooter63

I am wanting to go after stripers on the kayak and have not fished for them yet. I have been looking hard at the Penn squall 30 or 40 and the Abu Garcia AMBASSADEUR C3-6500STSPC STRIPER SPECIAL. I went to basspro yesterday and put my hands on both but the Penn was the larger size and was really to big for what I want but was very light which I like. I am wondering if uses the Penn 30 or 40 and would it be to big? The Abu Garcia is a great looking reel, compact, tough and is what I learned on but a bit heavier, not much. I plan on using an uglystik gx2 and fishing picwic. Any other suggestions is greatly appreciated or tell me what your setup is. Thanks

If you are going to be in a kayak, then you don't really need huge line capacity, since you can chase the fish (or get pulled along), so I'd factor that in to my choices.

I don't have a set rod for stripers specifically, but I've done fine with the small-medium sized ones (less than 12 lbs) on 10 lb line and a medium or medium-heavy spinning outfit. Perhaps others will have more specific advice.

Just for clarification - are you going specifically after BIG stripers?

Yes this setup will be primarily for stripers, the bigger the better but any is fine for now. I was thinking the 2 I am looking at is in the mid size. I have a pflueger patriarch on a basspro pole for bass and don't want to switch anything there so I can switch up at times. I have never done good with spinning reels so they aren't in the mix. I figure I will splurge for this reel as I did for the pflueger a few years ago which has been well worth it. I fish out of a native slayer 12 ft which has plenty of room and very stable.

The striper special and the catfish special are the same reel, just different colors. We been using the catfish special for 2 years and 100% happy with them. Doubt you would need anything larger fishing from a kayak or any boat for that matter.

I would recommend a penn fierce II. We have two that we use for rock fishing(stripe) and have caught several 30lb stripe on them. We've also caught sharks on them too. I would recommend the 6000 or 5000 series if you're looking to go for larger stripe. Not sure what size rod you plan on using but this is what I'd go with. If you decide to go with a lighter setup I would still look hard at the Penn series reels. There's a reason why all the charter boat captains use them. The battle is a little more but is an excellent reel also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowwolfe":24pxoms7 said:
The striper special and the catfish special are the same reel, just different colors. We been using the catfish special for 2 years and 100% happy with them. Doubt you would need anything larger fishing from a kayak or any boat for that matter.

I wondered about this. The specs looked the same but there are a few stripers specials on sale for $127 on ebay and looks like the best bang for the buck. I wish there was somewhere I could put my hands on the Penn squall 15, I like the looks of this one a lot. Thanks evryone

Back