• Help Support TNDeer:

Help with fishing reel

I disagree about the braid,mono IMHO is a much better line for a beginner on a baitcaster.Mono doesn't dig in,the overruns are easier to remove and if you have to cut it all off,its much more affordable.Ive used both lines extensively for over 25 years.

diamond hunter":2trc8m2n said:
I disagree about the braid,mono IMHO is a much better line for a beginner on a baitcaster.Mono doesn't dig in,the overruns are easier to remove and if you have to cut it all off,its much more affordable.Ive used both lines extensively for over 25 years.
I agree. Braid might not backlash as easily but when it does it can be trouble.

nitro_z17":3a320avz said:
and the walmart $40-70 reels would be fine. black max, pro max, silver max, Lews. but for $99 you can't beat the Lews LFS speed spool.
I have a pretty nice arsenal of rods and reels. I have a couple Silver Max I picked up dirt cheap and my son loves them. He's as likely to pick up a Silver Max as any of my expensive reels. Maybe I got lucky and got two gems but he raves about the Silver Max. I'm just scared to recommend a reel at that price for fear the majority of them aren't as good as mine.

Everything I have but one reel is Abu Garcia. Most are Revo but I have a few Orra models too. I also have 3 Silver Max reels that have braid on them for throwing a frog and flipping log jams. One is the original model and the other 2 are the updated models. All have worked flawlessly. They are a little less refined than the Orra or Revo but they are a lot better than some reels I've picked up. I've fished with a buddies Black Max and it also was a pretty good reel. It's all he uses and he has a boat load of them. I actually thought it was a little better feel than the Silver Max... and something like $40.

Latest posts

Back