• Help Support TNDeer:

Hiwassee River Rockfish

cowhunter71

Anyone fishing them. I'm a big time snook man from back home. Grew up catching them a lot of different ways, but always enjoyed catching them most in "current" around structure, especially bridges and trestles. Been here almost 13 years now and figured the closest thing I'm going to get to them is these Rockfish. I have not caught one "yet", but have decided to go "all in" in my pursuit. Hooked one last week around the 411 bridge and got spooled fast :) Dusted off and respooled a few old snook rigs and am ready to do battle. Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. :D

I don't know about the Hiwassee, but I know they like live shad, skipjack, large swimbaits, and around dawn and dusk you can catch them with 7" red fins cranked just below the surface

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10-4 Catman. I've been probing a few spots with swimbaits here lately just to locate some fish. Found some and am fixin to freeline them a few live trout tomorrow night. ;)

Shoot you can't beat live trout from what I've heard. Especially since they're gorging on them in rivers like that

When you fish with redfins, keep both 7" and 5" with you. Throw many different colors. Rainbow trout and bone are great colors.

The most important thing is throw it as far as you can, and WAKE the redfin all the way to your feet, not below the surface. Make sure the redfin is PUSHING a wake.

Another trick is take all hooks and split rings off the redfin. heat a needle up, poke a hole in the redfin, I put the hole in the black dot on the side of the redfin. Use a syringe to "load" the redfin, I use mineral oil, until the 7" redfin weighs 1 ounce and load the 5" redfin until it weighs .5 ounce. use super glue and a toothpick to seal the hole. trim the toothpick and super glue over that.

Put heavy duity split rings and 4x strong gamakatsu hooks on the redfin. I leave the middle hook off of the 5" redfin.

You will be able to throw the redfin a long ways, makes a huge difference with 5", and they will still wake. "Waking" the redfin is important and if the fish blow up, push the bait, etc. KEEP waking the redfin, don't stop it or twitch it, pull it under, just keep waking it.

Other topwaters that are great for stripers include:
12" sluggos, I pour them myself, and usually don't catch many but almost always the striper is at least 20 lbs when you catch one on the sluggo
jumpin minnow
saltwater super spook
Livingston lure pro sizzle jr (I have caught a ton of hybrids and stripers on this bait)

Well I'm on the board. Not a giant, but caught a solid 7 pounder two nights ago near Reliance. Live bluegill on the bottom in a good eddy during generation. Fried up real nice. Good firm white meat, a lot like Grouper.

cowhunter71":14plcgu0 said:
Well I'm on the board. Not a giant, but caught a solid 7 pounder two nights ago near Reliance. Live bluegill on the bottom in a good eddy during generation. Fried up real nice. Good firm white meat, a lot like Grouper.
live bluegill are some of the best all round bait for big fish...just went through a bunch of em this evening but I was fishing for catfish. I've never caught rockfish on one, but figured they would work good.

catman529":157kt83z said:
cowhunter71":157kt83z said:
live bluegill are some of the best all round bait for big fish...just went through a bunch of em this evening but I was fishing for catfish. I've never caught rockfish on one, but figured they would work good.

;) His stomach had another Bluegill and a yellow Perch in it when I fillet him out.

Latest posts

Back