• Help Support TNDeer:

Huge Talapia

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Anyone seen this one?
6 pounds 5 1/2 ounces.
Old Hickory Lake

http://www.newschannel5.com/news/record ... -tennessee

A mid-state fisherman caught a record-breaking Tilapia from Old Hickory Lake, weighing in at six pounds, five and a half ounces.

According to the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency, Barry Parker caught the fish in December. It broke the Tennessee record at 6 pound 5.5 ounce 22.5 inch.

TWRA officials believed the fish was one of many that have been caught on Old Hickory near the Gallatin Steam Plant. On the day of the record catch, Parker caught a total of 75 Tilapia.

Officials said Creel surveys have documented several catches in excess of 100 Tilapia form the area. The warm water discharge from the steam plant provides a thermal refuge for tilapia. Native to Africa, they can only survive in warmer climates. Their minimum temperature tolerance is about 45 degrees Fahrenheit which is limiting to most aquatic habitats in Tennessee. Suitable winter habitat probably doesn't exist away from the steam plant discharge in Old Hickory.

The TWRA reminded fisherman in a press release that any Tilapia that are caught from Old Hickory Reservoir can be kept so that they are removed and will no longer contribute to the population. There is no limit of any kind on Tilapia.

Region II Fishery Manager, Todd St. John says, "We believe they were introduced to Old Hickory by escaping from farm ponds during the big flood of 2010. Tilapia have been used by private pond owners to provide alternate forage for largemouth bass, aid in vegetation control, and as a food source. We do not encourage these farm pond stockings since escape and the introduction to other water bodies is always possible. They are invasive and undesirable and have the potential to compete with native species".

The TWRA then remind everyone that the stocking of any fish or crayfish into public waters is strictly prohibited.

Wow I hadn't seen this. I did hear about them being in the discharge waters at the steam plant though. I was there working and talked to a few locals. They claimed they'd been catching them for a few years.

They have been whacking the tilapia at the steam plant for several weeks. Last Sunday the boats were so thick in there that you could just about have walked across the cove from boat to boat. I had a friend that was up there fishing for stripers, and he said at the end of the day he saw about 500 tilapia being moved from buckets to coolers at the ramp.

Before Christmas the same guy had three friends that caught and kept over 400 in one day.

I wonder if they can be caught on a flyrod? With their saucer like shape and size, if they fight anything like a big bluegill, it would be a blast!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Fly rod? Sure, why not. Just use a #8 hook and a small piece of nightcrawler.
It's possible 400 were caught but doubtful they came on a rooster tail. Most are caught using worms.
Late November into Decem6, it was no problem to catch totals in the hundreds and good sized ones too.
But they have been hammered hard and the easy days of hundred + are gone.
Mostly small one now and you have to work for them.
I've taken people out on 4 hour trips and came in with 2-300 fish.
We haven't fished for them in awhile but I'm out there quite often while fishing for stripers. Not seeing people pull in decent sized fish anymore.
Two years ago there were a lot of big ones in there but when the steam plant was shut down to make the tie in to the new scrubbers, the cold river water killed off a lot of the bigger fish.
Two years ago, we'd catch a number of 2 pounders. Not this year. I caught one fish, 3.24 lbs.
Mine and the 6+ lb'er are they only two big ones I have seen or heard about.
4039b286cf6fc645e228117c3f02914a.jpg

I'm sure they will rebound because they are prolific breeder and grow super fast.
Very good eating fish, much better than store bought tilapia.

Buzzard Breath":1a4xougk said:
I wonder if they can be caught on a flyrod? With their saucer like shape and size, if they fight anything like a big bluegill, it would be a blast!

Yes, they can be caught on a fly. A friend caught 27 on small Clausers a couple of weeks ago.

Buzzard Breath":897135dd said:

I caught one, while bream fishing, a couple years ago in a friends pond.
They fight alot like bream but honestly not quite as hard, or the one I caught didn't anyway.
That is the only one I have ever seen or caught in person so my experience is very limited.

Man that sounds fun, I would like to try it but haven't had my John boat out in over a year. Also haven't heard very good things about the boat ramp that is close to there either.

Latest posts

Back