• Help Support TNDeer:

I Love it but...

quackaholic

...the older i get, the harder it is to roll out of bed. Some mornings I even wake up early just to kill the alarm to go back to dreamland. If I liked hunting in the evening, I would not have any issues lol. I donhunt evenings, I just prefer to be in the woods when nature wakes up. I know today is probably gonna yield zero meat. That's part of the issue. It's more of an observation sit. I may get lucky and they decide to walk close enough for a shot, but in all reality my farm sucks until November and is even better in January. Which brings about the cold problems then, but that's a complaint for another day.

...the older i get, the harder it is to roll out of bed. Some mornings I even wake up early just to kill the alarm to go back to dreamland. If I liked hunting in the evening, I would not have any issues lol. I donhunt evenings, I just prefer to be in the woods when nature wakes up. I know today is probably gonna yield zero meat. That's part of the issue. It's more of an observation sit. I may get lucky and they decide to walk close enough for a shot, but in all reality my farm sucks until November and is even better in January. Which brings about the cold problems then, but that's a complaint for another day.
Anymore it's not very difficult to talk me into staying in a warm bed with the wife. I enjoy morning hunts...just can't make myself get up sometimes. On this farm, evenings are about as good as it gets anyway...at least around here. If I go to the other property...have to get up even earlier...to get the boat in the water.
Usually froze before I ever get to the woods.. 😂

Me too. There was a time I would have called you crazy if you told me I would pass up a chance to hunt. It now gets easier every year. I still really enjoy it when I do, but just not obsessed like I used to. I think part of it is that I have expanded my hunting to West and Africa, and sitting in a deer stand isn't as appealing as it used to be.

I feel ya. I can wake up at 3:30AM 50 days in a row to turkey hunt. But not deer. I had alarm set for 4:30AM this morning and laid in bed wondering if I really wanted to go or not then fell back asleep. I'll get a lot more serious about it once the rut comes though.

Activity on my little farm usually picks up the end of October. I used to try to bowhunt and just never had any luck. Weird thing is I don't have any issues killing them in bow range come November when I have a muzzle loader or gun in my hands. At 55, I don't usually have much trouble getting up and going in the mornings to go.

I hear you. But…

I'm 55, and still fit enough to hunt like I did when I was 20. But, I also realize that I have fewer years ahead of me than behind. That alone motivates me to climb trees and hunt, especially while I can still shoot my bows and enjoy the physical ability to drag a heavy one out of the woods. I'll have plenty of reflection time when I'm unable to hunt.

That said, I've killed enough over the years that I try to hunt smarter and not harder. Some days, it's just proper to roll back over and appreciate a warm bed and my wife.

That said, I've killed enough over the years that I try to hunt smarter and not harder. Some days, it's just proper to roll back over and appreciate a warm bed and my wife.
Agree completely.

These days, I hunt a lot less than I did when I was in my 20s and 30s. However, I'm much more successful now than I was then. Smarter, not harder.

Back