• Help Support TNDeer:

Hunting The Cold and North Wind?

Used to be I could handle it, and the cold didn't really bother me, even with stiff north winds. Think the meds I was on for blood pressure really made a difference and it only got worse handling the cold as the problems with my heart progressed and as they increased dosages. I can still tolerate 20 if the wind chill isn't terrible, but if the wind chill is bad I just can't handle it like I used to.
I'm there with you!

After living in north east Illinois and north west Indiana for 44 years I've found that it doesn't get cold here in south central Kentucky. So with Tennessee being farther south it can't possibly be cold down there. I have all sorts of cold weather gear that I don't get to wear. Have wool and it will keep you warm when wet. Have other high tech insulated garments that work great but wear loose fitting layers. Also get outer layer of clothing labeled wind block or wind blocking capability. Loved to kill big bucks in January when other hunters have quit for the year. Easy to pattern and kill but you have to be able to take the weather. Here are a few January bucks. First pic far right IL bow. Second from right IN bow. Second pic middle buck is IL bow. My last winter there 2013/2014 we had a total of 121 inches of snow. Don't miss the bitter cold but sure do miss the snow.

IMG_0201.webp
IMG_0199.webp

Never had a problem getting cold and have hunted in some extreme environments like MN & SD during winter. Good merino base layer is a must. As I've gotten older the weight of clothing bothers me and I've converted to the lighter weight technical gear & most of it is Kuiu. Warmth without weight is where it's at for me now. Had the grandsons come over this week & get whatever they wanted out of the hunting closet that I no longer wear. Key to keeping feet warm is a larger size of boots than you normally wear. Bet 90% of folks order the same size insulated boots as tennis shoes they wear, which is a mistake.

Never had a problem getting cold and have hunted in some extreme environments like MN & SD during winter. Good merino base layer is a must. As I've gotten older the weight of clothing bothers me and I've converted to the lighter weight technical gear & most of it is Kuiu. Warmth without weight is where it's at for me now. Had the grandsons come over this week & get whatever they wanted out of the hunting closet that I no longer wear. Key to keeping feet warm is a larger size of boots than you normally wear. Bet 90% of folks order the same size insulated boots as tennis shoes they wear, which is a mistake.
Agree. Loose fitting socks and boots. Don't want to restrict blood flow to extremities

Even though I despise weather extremes on either end, if prime rutting action is going on, I'll sit in just about anything but heavy rain. On those blustery cold days, I'll just strap plenty of warm clothes (usually a good insulated coverall) to my pack and put em on in the stand.

But yeah, I hear you. I hate cold and windy days regardless.

Latest posts

Back