• Help Support TNDeer:

I’ll just leave this here

I understand your frustration....but you dont have "hunters" in the street at night with thermals....you have an issue with poachers who lie, cheat and steal...and again, I dont blame you for being frustrated.
Exactly; the problem is non-hunters lump poachers and ethical hunters together - to them they are all "hunters". Same as anti-gunners lump school shooters and responsible gun owners together.

I remember back in the 90's a similar story with a deer with arrows in it in green hills part of Nashville. It had 5 or 6 arrows in it laying by the road and they were different fletchings, clearly an anti hunter plant.

This video and these predictable responses are funny 🤣

Definitely seek 1s fault. You never saw this kind of thing before they entered the scene. I want tax-payer funded sniping of these "pet" deer after dark, so the neighborhood Karen's don't have to see it. And I want the seek 1 crew strung up by their testicles for creating this mess.

🤣
Sure. Nobody can place the blame on seekone for this particular incident... But I'd bet a whole lot of money that the person responsible is a seekone fanboy.

You lived this firsthand in FL. I am sure you see the similarities. Boca Grande was not the yugoshow that it is today before PTTS publicized and popularized jigs and bumper boats on TV.

Sure. Nobody can place the blame on seekone for this particular incident... But I'd bet a whole lot of money that the person responsible is a seekone fanboy.

You lived this firsthand in FL. I am sure you see the similarities. Boca Grande was not the yugoshow that it is today before PTTS publicized and popularized jigs and bumper boats on TV.
I did live it. I realized early on there was nothing anyone could do. I kept my sense of humor and made the most of it. Hating on Joe Mercurio constantly wasn't gonna fix anything. And assigning him all the blame wasn't right either. It is the advent of the internet, and the resulting access to information that changed that fishery. Techniques, tactics and etiquette used to be passed down from mentors. The internet cut out that step. And brought in some d-bags . Trying to blame it on one dude is silly. Same thing here. Some folks here have real hate in their heart. That's on them. And it won't change a thing. In fact, all the attention brought to this situation, will only make it worse. More eyes on those deer will lead to more d-bags doing dumb stuff to kill one. Same with giant tarpon. You agree?

But I'd bet a whole lot of money that the person responsible is a seekone fanboy.
Also, I'd take this bet.

If this really happened in late June, I think it's an illegal alien. No regard to game laws or season dates. Wanted it for food. And was possibly spooked before being able to drag it away. To me, this scenario makes more sense. How's a seek 1 fanboy gonna get the ever important grip-n-grin shot in june?
I don't. I think Seek One deserves a HUGE part of the blame for the rash of 1) urban/suburban hunting, and 2) the glorification of shooting pet deer.
You understand magazines like North American Whitetail have been doing cover stories on hunting huge city bucks since the early 90s?

Where big deer reside, hunters, poachers, knuckleheads, and all of the above will follow.

Again, it's the age of the internet that makes us think it's seek 1. It's just like cops wearing bodycams. Every time there's a screwup we all see it. Same stuff happened in the 80s and 90s, it just wasn't blasted everywhere instantly

But I never heard a word about it until Seek One came along. I think my "blame" is well deserved and properly targeted.
You didn't hear about it because it was pre internet. Not because it was pre seek 1.

Everything you see today was happening then. Bad hits, trespassing, poaching, bragging, but because you didn't see it, it was ok. Then there's a simple fix. Ignore it. Don't feed it. It ain't going away no matter how much bellyaching any of us do. Let them city boys do their thing and I promise you it's not the issue you guys are making it out to be.

Same argument I had two years ago. And last year. Now this year.

Yeah, that's where the Atlanta boys killed their first one up here on the velvet hunt a few years back… just so you guys on here know Shelby bottoms is an extremely liberal neighborhood. If it were up to 99% of the residence who live there, hunting would be illegal across the state!! I understand the allure of wanting to kill big bucks, but this type of reckless behavior will eliminate the opportunity, eventually, for us to kill any bucks no matter where you are hunting them. I am in no way against any form of legal hunting I want to make that very clear. However, I do think that inside the legal limits of the law, hunters can be somewhat reckless in the face of the non-Hunting community when certain situations such as the one above happens. I urge all my fellow hunters to consider how you represent our community to other groups who do not share our same viewpoint. Just my .02
i agree with you, but as you said, if up to them it would be illegal, so not sure I care how they see me. whether they view me in a good or bad light they will vote based on their view point. In other words whether I represented hunters well or not, they would vote to outlaw hunting if they could.

that being said, I am not into shooting back yard pets, and I have been approached to do it in Goodlettsville.

You didn't hear about it because it was pre internet. Not because it was pre seek 1.

Everything you see today was happening then. Bad hits, trespassing, poaching, bragging, but because you didn't see it, it was ok. Then there's a simple fix. Ignore it. Don't feed it. It ain't going away no matter how much bellyaching any of us do. Let them city boys do their thing and I promise you it's not the issue you guys are making it out to be.

Same argument I had two years ago. And last year. Now this year.
Same argument, than ignore it

And I'll just leave this here . . . . .

Sure wish the media would stop calling "poachers" . . . . "hunters".

This story just made national news.

looks like they called them both, but yeah I agree, they are not the same.

i agree with you, but as you said, if up to them it would be illegal, so not sure I care how they see me. whether they view me in a good or bad light they will vote based on their view point. In other words whether I represented hunters well or not, they would vote to outlaw hunting if they could.

that being said, I am not into shooting back yard pets, and I have been approached to do it in Goodlettsville.
Good points.

Once opportunity gets taken away, it's a slippery slope. Once cities and towns get tax payer money to fix it, it's very difficult to ever get that back. Fewer opportunities in urban areas equals more hunters on other available lands. As a community, we should never advocate for less opportunity. I can't think of any scenario where that makes sense.

I did live it. I realized early on there was nothing anyone could do. I kept my sense of humor and made the most of it. Hating on Joe Mercurio constantly wasn't gonna fix anything. And assigning him all the blame wasn't right either. It is the advent of the internet, and the resulting access to information that changed that fishery. Techniques, tactics and etiquette used to be passed down from mentors. The internet cut out that step. And brought in some d-bags . Trying to blame it on one dude is silly. Same thing here. Some folks here have real hate in their heart. That's on them. And it won't change a thing. In fact, all the attention brought to this situation, will only make it worse. More eyes on those deer will lead to more d-bags doing dumb stuff to kill one. Same with giant tarpon. You agree?
I don't disagree with most of what you said but I do believe that in the case of Boca Grande and urban hunting, the monetization is what accelerated the trends. PTTS was TV driven, not internet.

I'm ashamed to admit that I made some money fishing those events. But it's true. I let money cloud my vision on what's best for the resource.

I'm not trying to equate the two issues completely but they are somewhat related.

I believe that Boca Grande would be a different place today if PTTS never came along.

As an aside, the jiggers are back in the pass and finding ways to snag more fish and skirt the laws.

My last comment on this in the spirit of fairness, I'd be in favor of closing the pass to fishing completely so it doesn't end up like Port Aransas… but I would never advocate for the elimination of urban hunting.

Last edited:
I lied. One last comment…

The behavior in the pass quickly spilled over into pretty much all of tarpon fishing along the west coast. Prior to PTTS you could have a school of fish to yourself all day off the beach. After PTTS became popular, it was common for people to apply Boca Grande etiquette no matter where they were fishing.

The same is true for urban hunting… the crap people see on seekone and other hunting shows will become acceptable.

I don't disagree with most of what you said but I do believe that in the case of Boca Grande and urban hunting, the monetization is what accelerated the trends. PTTS was TV driven, not internet.

I'm ashamed to admit that I made some money fishing those events. But it's true. I let money cloud my vision on what's best for the resource.

I'm not trying to equate the two issues completely but they are somewhat related.

I believe that Boca Grande would be a different place today if PTTS never came along.

As an aside, the jiggers are back in the pass and finding ways to snag more fish and skirt the laws.

My last comment in this in the spirit of fairness, I'd be in favor of closing the pass to fishing completely so it doesn't end up like Port Aransas… but I would never advocate for the elimination of urban hunting.
Good stuff.

To further my point about the internet in particular, being to blame, consider how many other fisheries have been ruined by dudes over-sharing online mainly for likes. I could name a dozen spots here tonight between the harbor and the sound and down into estero, and there would be guys googling and cyber-scouting em. And rightly so. I do it too. It can be a legitimate tool for guys that are in it for the right reasons and generally do things the right way. It also brings in an element of dudes that cut corners and have no consideration for others. Guys that are just in it for gram clout. These are the bad apples that get noticed the most. There's very few secrets out there anymore.

Same in the hunting world. I'm OK if guys want to blame one guy. It's almost impossible to change anyone's mind at this point. But it's the internet. If seek 1 wasn't doing it, it would be someone else.

Latest posts

Back