I'll Miss Him

Ski

This lil bugger sure is purdy but I've got a feeling his days are numbered. Momma will probably chase him out later this summer. I had a ball watching him as a fawn last season. I'd see him often from stand and almost every time I checked cameras. Hopefully he'll stop back in time to time if nobody shoots him. It's always a treat seeing him.

1719938657790.jpeg

And these guys are growing well. The date is off by about three weeks. This pic was taken just a couple days ago. I didn't know the date was off until I checked the cam. No giants but nice to see a couple good up-n-comers.

1719938629393.jpeg

Ski

The reason I said kill momma was that IF you do, he MIGHT not disperse.

Oh the thought crossed my mind just about every time she stepped out. But for whatever reason I never did. He grew a lot slower than the other fawns and really seemed to rely on her even when all other fawns were becoming independent. Here he is almost in February and he's still tiny and clinging close to his momma. Other fawns his age were big as their mothers by that time.

1719943758461.jpeg

BSK

Oh the thought crossed my mind just about every time she stepped out. But for whatever reason I never did. He grew a lot slower than the other fawns and really seemed to rely on her even when all other fawns were becoming independent. Here he is almost in February and he's still tiny and clinging close to his momma. Other fawns his age were big as their mothers by that time.
That is because piebaldism goes hand-in-hand with all sorts of other genetic maladies. Piebald deer are rarely fully healthy.

redblood

Well you have access to test a widely held theory about buck dispersal. Obviously you will be able to ID him

I hope he stays for ya. Sad reality is that hunters would shoot him as an immature just so they could check a box on the bucket list

Latest posts