• Help Support TNDeer:

I'm weak and it hurts

Antler Daddy

I am addicted to deer hunting and I also like to hunt areas away from my home with antler restrictions.

Yesterday, I purchased two TN sportsman licenses and 3 out of state licenses for around $1400 for me, wife, and 17 year old's. I have yet to purchase LBL permits, misc. other permits, and two more state licenses we will need. Plus, we expect to draw those crane bird permits and will need duck stamps I guess. I have never spent this kind of money on licenses....kids are on their own after this run.

I am addicted to deer hunting and I also like to hunt areas away from my home with antler restrictions.

Yesterday, I purchased two TN sportsman licenses and 3 out of state licenses for around $1400 for me, wife, and 17 year old's. I have yet to purchase LBL permits, misc. other permits, and two more state licenses we will need. Plus, we expect to draw those crane bird permits and will need duck stamps I guess. I have never spent this kind of money on licenses....kids are on their own after this run.
Sound like an awesome fall!!!! Good luck to all

Dude, you totally screwed up...

NEVER buy the out of state licenses until the day before or the morning of the kids first hunt. When they went to 365d licenses a couple years ago, you can often squeeze in 2 turkey seasons and 1 deer season (or vice versa). For example, I bought my daughters boyfriend an out of state license the morning of his first hunt last December. So that license is still good this November when he comes up over Thanksgiving.

Turkey licenses will be similar this year... a license purchased on opening day of 2024 will still be valid for the first 3 days of this year's turkey season.

I know it doesn't sound like much... but when you are buying multiple OOS licenses for the kids at $300 a pop like i have to, it can end up saving you a bit.

Dude, you totally screwed up...

NEVER buy the out of state licenses until the day before or the morning of the kids first hunt. When they went to 365d licenses a couple years ago, you can often squeeze in 2 turkey seasons and 1 deer season (or vice versa). For example, I bought my daughters boyfriend an out of state license the morning of his first hunt last December. So that license is still good this November when he comes up over Thanksgiving.

Turkey licenses will be similar this year... a license purchased on opening day of 2024 will still be valid for the first 3 days of this year's turkey season.

I know it doesn't sound like much... but when you are buying multiple OOS licenses for the kids at $300 a pop like i have to, it can end up saving you a bit.
Yes... I have already played that game once. I even bought their Tennessee youth license the day before their 16th birthday last year.

Kentucky does not have 365 day yet.

Due to a special draw hunt license requirement… I had to purchase the licenses on Friday. It is our favorite hunt and this is our last year.

And, depending on a couple other draws, we may have to purchase a couple more out of state licenses. So I'm not done yet.

It is also extremely time-consuming to go into all the accounts and create parties and everything else that goes with it.

Most of these don't include fishing at all.

I have argued before that states really need a staggered license fee for 16-18 and maybe 18-21 years old. I could see my kids just skipping some years if having to fork out some cash. There is no way they will buy a $200-300 license just to hunt a couple of hours during Thanksgiving on our TN properties.

Last edited:
My oldest got a break when she moved to Henderson to go to school full time.

I'll be purchasing my second oldest girl her's the day before she turns 16.

As much as I hate to say it my season might be over before fun season opens. I have enough to get me through LBL hunt and that's it.

Latest posts

Back