• Help Support TNDeer:

Interesting take on Heupel

Paul Finebaum: 'Reality has struck' for Tennessee with Josh Heupel hire

When Tennessee brought in Central Florida's Danny White as the school's new athletic director last week, the hope was that the Volunteers would be on their way to making a splash hire at the position of head football coach following Jeremy Pruitt's dismissal on Jan. 18. In the end, White and Tennessee also went to Orlando to fill that role as well, convincing UCF head football coach Josh Heupel to join his former boss in Knoxville.

With Heupel fresh off a 6-4 finish in his third and final season leading the Knights, the hire may not quite of the caliber that some had envisioned. Ask SEC Network host Paul Finebaum, though, and a gap between expectations and reality is perhaps to blame for any Vols fans disappointed by the hire. Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Finebaum described the hire as a reality check regarding the appeal of the Tennessee job amid rocky times on Rocky Top.

"Frankly, I didn't hear anything from Heupel today that would make you think Tennessee will break down any doors," Finebaum said Wednesday on his radio show. "It was like a cattle prod to the system. The expectations have been quieted dramatically. At the end of the search, the reality has struck: That this was as good as Tennessee could do."

Probably on Par.....

When Tennessee brought in Central Florida's Danny White as the school's new athletic director last week, the hope was that the Volunteers would be on their way to making a splash hire at the position of head football coach following Jeremy Pruitt's dismissal on Jan. 18. In the end, White and Tennessee also went to Orlando to fill that role as well, convincing UCF head football coach Josh Heupel to join his former boss in Knoxville.

With Heupel fresh off a 6-4 finish in his third and final season leading the Knights, the hire may not quite of the caliber that some had envisioned. Ask SEC Network host Paul Finebaum, though, and a gap between expectations and reality is perhaps to blame for any Vols fans disappointed by the hire. Speaking on his radio show Wednesday, Finebaum described the hire as a reality check regarding the appeal of the Tennessee job amid rocky times on Rocky Top.

"Frankly, I didn't hear anything from Heupel today that would make you think Tennessee will break down any doors," Finebaum said Wednesday on his radio show. "It was like a cattle prod to the system. The expectations have been quieted dramatically. At the end of the search, the reality has struck: That this was as good as Tennessee could do."

Probably on Par.....
I'll be the first to admit this hire would not be my first choice, but as fans we all try to see the positives, yes he went 6-4 with the 4 losses being a grand total of 12 points, a bit different than double digit every other game like we have been putting up with. I think Vols will score points, I think the biggest thing for Heupel is a DC hire

I'll be the first to admit this hire would not be my first choice, but as fans we all try to see the positives, yes he went 6-4 with the 4 losses being a grand total of 12 points, a bit different than double digit every other game like we have been putting up with. I think Vols will score points, I think the biggest thing for Heupel is a DC hire

I thought I read somewhere that he had 14 players opt out for 2020, 10 of which were starters. If true, a 6-4 record is not so bad losing that many starters..

Booger McFarland was on Finebaum the other day, he seems to know what he's talking about and always hits it on the head, he was very complimentary of the hire, Finebaum not so sure

Do you mean take over at Alabama or rule the West at Ole Miss?

I don't mean to sound like a homer, but I think If Saban does retire in a year or 3 the momentum he created at Alabama will carry over to whoever replaces him for a few years. I just don't see Alabama taking a drastic step backwards the year after he retires.
I said at the next level. I agree whoever takes over at ALABAMA when Saban retires will have several luxuries. Likely some depth in the roster, some backing in the program and some serious talent in recruiting and management.You are right. It will be a year or 3. Maybe more. Depending on they hire as coach could have another Dynasty on their hands.

Probably on Par.....
Now do the one where Finebaum said Pruitt was a good hire for Tennessee.

Or could
I said at the next level. I agree whoever takes over at ALABAMA when Saban retires will have several luxuries. Likely some depth in the roster, some backing in the program and some serious talent in recruiting and management.You are right. It will be a year or 3. Maybe more. Depending on they hire as coach could have another Dynasty on their hands

Thats it you never know, could be another Shula, Butch, bama went thru about 5 coaches like we are now to get that can do the job

Can't make this stuff up.....lol

Attachments

• IMG_3770.jpg
    IMG_3770.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back