Is SS worth the extra $$ ????

Blucollar

No doubt its better, but to hunt two weeks a year, is Stainless worth the extra money?
Already decided to buy a NEF sidekick, just can't decide blue or SS.
About $100 or so difference.
I might add, anything saved here would go towards another rifle or reloading kit. Seems I want a little bit more than I have money for.

skynimrod

For my smoke pole it wasn't worth it to me
Like U said a couple weeks a year, stainless is heavier, and I clean regularly, so it's just a matter of choice I guess

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I will absolutely positively NEVER own another muzzleloader that isn't stainless.
ABSOLUTELY worth the extra money in my opinion.
Just simply so much easier to clean for whatever reason and it is much more forgiving than blued if you get into a situation (or too lazy) to properly clean it after a hunt.

RUGER said:
I will absolutely positively NEVER own another muzzleloader that isn't stainless.
Just simply so much easier to clean for whatever reason and it is much more forgiving than blued if you get into a situation (or too lazy) to properly clean it after a hunt.

DITTO

skynimrod

RUGER said:
I will absolutely positively NEVER own another muzzle loader that isn't stainless.
Like I said It's a matter of choice
and let me explain in a little more detail in my reasoning.
stainless is an up grade. rust proof no, rust resistant yes, but when it comes to black powder it is very corrosive. You want to clean Always after shooting, you cannot get lazy or U will pay.
I have a retired TC Hawkins on my wall that's over 20 yrs old, and hunted with it. It's still fine (non stainless). My b/powder rifle today is a break-action, a lot easier to clean than the hawk, very light, all black (smoke stains don't show as bad), not to expensive. Plus the way b/powder guns are developing I might want to replace it next year. It's not a lifetime gun for me. Consider this #1 there are different stainless steels out there, #2 Is it a expensive rifle, and probably a keeper, #3
do U like the looks? My deer don't care if a Stainless gun kills them or not. Btw I do have stainless rifles, but not my b/p

vonb

I'm still using an old Knight MK-85 blued and I wish it was stainless every time I look at it. I'm very diligent in my cleaning (I have to be with it) and it has no rust but I don't think anything goes together as well as blackpowder rifles and stainless...It just makes sense if you're not a traditionalist. My Next M/L will be a stainless Savage ML-II.

iowavf

If you have the money I would go SS. Like Ruger said it's more for giving when it comes to cleaning. I know it doesn't make it shoot ant better, but I also like to have a gun that looks good to me.

Gravey

I prefer stainless but as long as you clean them both good, they'll both do what you want. I had a Knight for 10+ years that was blued but I'm a freak about cleaning it. Sold it to my brother-in-law and he still hunts with it. When I bought my encore I bought stainless just because thats what I wanted.

CHRIS WILSON

As long as you take care of your weapon and clean it like you're supposed to, it doesn't matter if it's stainless or blued. The last rifle I purchased was blued. I just couldn't see paying the extra cash for stainless, not with knowing how peculiar I am about cleaning my rifles.

KamoKilla

i wouldnt think it would matter, as long as you take good care of your guns. i probally would go for the SS though cause im just the type that wants the most expensive.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

big 8's in Weakley county said:
RUGER said:

DITTO

Ditto

STEELMAN

I have had a Thompson Center Scout Blued for 17 years - not a spot of rust. I have a stainless Knight T-bolt that started showing pitted spots after one season. They we're both given the same care. To me stainless is not worth the extra.

DMD

Steelman...that's ironic, considering your handle!!!! :)

I keep wanting to buy a stainless ML, but I only ML hunt about 5-7 days per year with the ML. Last year only 2 days, one year I bow hunted during ML season. Just cannot justify buying one for so few days spent hunting. My old American Knight, fires everytime, shoots straight...just can't justify the cost!

BSK

Nope. I've seen stainless barrels corrode just as fast as a blued barrel. In addition, those stainless barrels stick out like a sore thumb in the woods.

jakeway

As I get older, I realize that hunting is a very sensual experience. By that, I mean the total experience is from all the senses..sight, sound, smell, etc.

I spend a lot more time looking at my rifle than shooting it, and I really like the looks of a matte stainless barrell with a black stock. So that's what I have.

But I agree with others; from pure functionality, stainless isn't that much different than a decent blued finish.

HardwoodsgreenHD

RUGER said:

Absolutely agree!!!