• Help Support TNDeer:

Jack Crevalle

BuckWild

Went back out in the gulf today for red snapper but once again didn't get to fish our spots due to bad weather. We went west instead and got a limit but the biggest was only 14 lbs. Good day but could have been better.

But...this morning we put the boat in down the road from my friends house and while casting for menhaden to use for bait, the Jack Crevalles came into the back bay and started chasing the menhaden.

We grabbed the light tackle and started casting swimbaits into the busting schools. Holy crap!!!

You talk about excitement. LoL, this was the biggest one I caught. It lasted about 20 minutes and they were gone.

Talk about a fight.

Attach34617_20220727_142109.jpg

My buddy I'm fishing with has a Dr. appt tomorrow then has an in service day at the school where he teaches.

Gonna take the wife and get out there about sun up and put her on some of these. LoL

Also had a huge redfish on the line but he broke off right at the boat.

The most underrated game fish there is!

Next time have a top water tied on and reel it across the top as fast as you can. It's incredible how aggressive they can be when in a feeding frenzy.
Couldn't agree more. I'd almost rather catch them than any other inshore/nearshore fish. They are tanks. I got into them fly fishing a few years back and they wrecked my gear, my body, and my soul. So much fun

Couldn't agree more. I'd almost rather catch them than any other inshore/nearshore fish. They are tanks. I got into them fly fishing a few years back and they wrecked my gear, my body, and my soul. So much fun
As a kid I grew up on the Caloosahatchee River in SWFL. It seemed like there were unlimited chances to catch these guys nearly all year long off our dock. I'll never forget my dad laughing at me for losing all of the line from 3 different reels one evening to the jacks.

It was also jacks that taught me the value of getting your knuckles out of the way when a fish makes a run on a fly reel. Very painful lesson.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back