• Help Support TNDeer:

Kentucky Lake in 1956

double browtine

wrightk2's post reminded me of a couple old pictures that my mom gave me of my grandpa. I fished with him quite a few times in that ole FD Alumacraft in the background of the picture. My grandpa, Reams Wyatt is on the right, and his friend Ike Shelby is on the left. The back of the picture said Byrd creek Aug 14, 1956. They had a nice stringer of bass!
Click on links for pictures
https://goo.gl/photos/2yzGUHnHnxBCMJX28

https://goo.gl/photos/ghBzW9im1mZ6xNGQ7

Wow! Thanks for sharing :)
Back then, the Byrd Creek area was quite a remote part of TN (actually, still is in many respects).
1956 predates the formation of LBL (of which Byrd Creek is now part).
Also predate the formation of Lake Barkley.

Your relatives appeared to be some very serious bass fishermen,
as noted by their tackle and their success.
Very neat old pics.

Any idea what they were catching their fish on?

TheLBLman":2vzes52c said:
Wow! Thanks for sharing :)
Back then, the Byrd Creek area was quite a remote part of TN (actually, still is in many respects).
1956 predates the formation of LBL (of which Byrd Creek is now part).
Also predate the formation of Lake Barkley.

Very neat old pics.

Not sure. My grandpa always liked fishing topwater, spoons, and crankbaits. I have a couple of his old tackle boxes. I have an old bait that looks like a bird, maybe a sparrow, and a couple of al Foss top water spinners. Even a bait that looks like it was made out of an old dinner spoon with deer hair and squirrel tail tied around a single hook.

If you still have his tackle boxes and lures. The lures may be worth a lot of money. I have a buddy at work that collects old lures. He showed me one lure that sold for 28000 yes 28000 dollars. 200-300 dollars are very common.

double browtine":2qhv2oh2 said:
TheLBLman":2qhv2oh2 said:

Not sure. My grandpa always liked fishing topwater, spoons, and crankbaits. I have a couple of his old tackle boxes. I have an old bait that looks like a bird, maybe a sparrow, and a couple of al Foss top water spinners. Even a bait that looks like it was made out of an old dinner spoon with deer hair and squirrel tail tied around a single hook.
Yesteryear's fishermen were quite "inventive", and making a lure from a dinner spoon was not uncommon.
Of course, bet their tackle boxes did have some "store bought" Arbogast Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers! :D

Their catch then may have been a bit more an accomplishment than many could imagine today.
Back in 1956 they had zero electronics, no electric motors, rudimentary bait-casting reels using the original "braid" fishing line that was more like rope. Many of today's anglers wouldn't even be able to cast those reels without backlashing and giving up.

Although monofilament line was technically invented in 1939, it didn't come into widespread use until Dupont introduced "Stren" in 1959. "Stren" was a thinner monofilament that could be used on a wide range of reels, including the newly introduced "spinning" reels. Over the next few years, "Stren" became the most popular fishing line in America, and quite possibly may still be.

A/M/G":2871t0ya said:
If you still have his tackle boxes and lures. The lures may be worth a lot of money. I have a buddy at work that collects old lures. He showed me one lure that sold for 28000 yes 28000 dollars. 200-300 dollars are very common.

Wow, I need to get them out and do some checking on Google and eBay.

TheLBLman":1vrak73a said:
double browtine":1vrak73a said:
TheLBLman":1vrak73a said:

Yesteryear's fishermen were quite "inventive", and making a lure from a dinner spoon was not uncommon.
Of course, bet their tackle boxes did have some "store bought" Arbogast Jitterbugs & Hula Poppers! :D

Their catch then may have been a bit more an accomplishment than many could imagine today.
Back in 1956 they had zero electronics, no electric motors, rudimentary bait-casting reels using the original "braid" fishing line that was more like rope. Many of today's anglers wouldn't even be able to cast those reels without backlashing and giving up.

Although monofilament line was technically invented in 1939, it didn't come into widespread use until Dupont introduced "Stren" in 1959. "Stren" was a thinner monofilament that could be used on a wide range of reels, including the newly introduced "spinning" reels. Over the next few years, "Stren" became the most popular fishing line in America, and quite possibly may still be.

I never knew that about Stren.

I know there are a few hula poppers, a couple of bombers, some old wood baits with 3 hooks and some top water spoons in one box. When I get time, I'll post a couple pics.

I just noticed the reels have bags over them..... protecting the monofilament ?

I have a metal tool box that is almost identical to the tackle box in the pic.

What I have my have been a tackle box at one time.

Back