• Help Support TNDeer:

Knoxville Crew Smackin' Some Cats

rsimms

Clayton, Robbie and Devyn joined me for some wintertime catfishing Saturday. The day started good with several respectable cats in the first hour or so. Devyn had big fish at 24 lbs. Then the bite went dead. :bash: After hammering away for a while the gang switched gears and put about four dozen big bluegill in the cooler for a free ride back to Knoxville. :D #lifeisgood #luvmyjob

Attachments

• devyn2.jpg
    devyn2.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 711
  • robbie.jpg
    robbie.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 699
  • devyn3.jpg
    devyn3.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 703
Wiley":2mtphx90 said:
Looks like a lot of fun. What did y'all catch the big bluegills on?

I usually fish a 1/32 oz. jig head with wax worms ... But this year I've also been rigging jig heads with a Trout Magnet in Mealworm Gold color.

You can catch them just using the Trout Magnet... it just requires a little better touch and finesse. Tipping that with a wax worm makes it MUCH more palatable for the fish, and MUCH easier, especially for inexperienced folks who have done a lot of light tackle, finesse fishing.

I've been catching them in about 15 feet of water, but sometimes they'll be hanging in deeper water... down to 25 feet. In those cases I might have to go up to a 1/16th oz. jig head, especially if there is much wind ... provided I can find them with small hooks. Most 1/16th oz. jog heads you buy have a hook size a little bit large for bluegill.

Awesome fish. I love fishing trout magnets for bluegills, but have never even tried the gold bodies. It look like I need to try them next trip out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Buzzard Breath":3rs6bi2f said:
Awesome fish. I love fishing trout magnets for bluegills, but have never even tried the gold bodies. It look like I need to try them next trip out.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yea, you really do (need to try them). I am usually not a guy who cares a flip about lure color... I think presentation is the key. BUT, on bluegill I have seen a marked difference in success with the mealworm gold color. It's the only color you'll find in my boat (for bluegill).

dbaileyTN":29fhilwe said:
Looks like a great day! When will the crappie bite got hot?

Like many fish, the best crappie bite is often a moving target. But I can pretty much guarantee the peak bite will happen in March... usually the last two weeks of March. However two years ago our peak bite occurred the first two weeks of March.

[youtube]X7gHD1g6Bf4[/youtube]
I'll usually start trolling for them seriously in February and sometimes do quite well.

[youtube]gVK4EWl2CPA[/youtube]
But late March is usually the peak.

[youtube]E4uwZQT3qlM[/youtube]
My clients know that. I'm already booked solid that last two weeks of March and first week of April. However my partner still has openings if you're interested. ;)

Latest posts

Back