• Help Support TNDeer:

KY Birthday Buck

Congrats, drop them guts out makes it a lot easier to load lol, killed my first deer on my birthday, been ruined ever since. Not sure how much guts weigh but thinking in the 30lb range, was having to haul deer out to the main trail road so buzzards could clean it up in a couple hours, had shot a big spike that must've been 200lb or so on the hoof, couldn't pull it up onto the atv so dragged it out, once I dropped the guts no problem. I just can't imagine how hard to load a elk into a sxs like I have seen multiple pictures of.
First off an elk is gutted at the site. Also skinned, as that is very useful. Second, I don't know anyone that suggested eating the guts other than the animals and birds. By wasted meat they meant the heart, liver, kidneys, rib and neck meat, hide. Trying to drag even a gutted elk any distance other than a short distance would be ridiculous. We gut, skin, quarter, get all back straps, tenderloin, organs, bag, and may have to make several trips, including for the hide.
As far as deer, same methods as above, except after gutting, then we drag to the site where the atv's are parked, never usually always less that a mile. Then the process starts there and hauled back to camp.
I guess the American Indians were not a lazy bunch as they used everything.

Latest posts

Back