• Help Support TNDeer:

Ladder Stand Recommendation Please

rsimms

I want to buy one, maybe two new ladder stands and I need some recommendations. I want one man, relatively short and lightweight - something I can easily put up, and/or move to different locations by myself. Requirements (for me):
  • One man stand (to reduce weight overall weight and ease of putting up)
  • Short, I don't want a lot of height. Preferably 12 feet, give or take (just two ladder sections). This is what I'm having difficulty finding. Again, much easier for me to put up by myself. And in the scrubby cover I hunt, I don't have a lot of tall trees (w/o lots of limbs) and too much height can actually be detrimental. This is where I'm having the most trouble. I find very few decent models.
  • Lightweight - overall 50 pounds or less
  • Comfortable seat and gun rest. Obviously I like Millenium, I used to have had one. But the shortest Millenium model I see is still 18-feet, very hard for me to put up solo. Plus they're pricey.
I do wonder if I bought a 20-footer, would I (A) be able to put it up by myself, and (B) perhaps just not use one ladder section to shorten, and it still be stable/safe.

Anyway, y'all get the idea. I want a decent comfortable ladder stand (or two) small enough to me to be mobile with it, by myself.

Thanks for any suggestions. Potential web links appreciated.

Unfortunately, the ones I love are all 16'. And personally, I've never found a ladder stand that can easily be put up by one person. I'm sure it can be done, but not by me!

The Muddy Huntsman Deluxe is 16' and weighs 55 lbs. It has a great adjustable shooting rail, and the seat and backrest are uber comfortable.

OOMPH! that's a tall order. Typically, I see the short stands having the dinky partial seat that's way uncomfortable. Single man ladder stand instillation isn't impossible but usually not recommended. I would probably recommend ladder stick sections and a nice hang on but that's gonna cost you as well. Also, not using one section of a stand is typically a no-go due to the whole thing being part of the structural integrity but some of these guys have probably done it.

under 50 lbs but taller than requested. https://amzn.to/3YfsP00

These have a cool feature to secure them from the ground, its pricey and heavy... https://amzn.to/46gSdom

Short, light, easy to fall out of and not very comfortable https://amzn.to/3YbU3Vx

This is what I would recommend and use with a nice hang on stand https://amzn.to/3WzR0oO

This is an affordable stand but it doesn't look as comfy as my millenniums https://amzn.to/3WChOnp

Sorry I just realized that all these links from my associates account are not hyperlinks. I don't know why. Youll have to copy and paste them.

We use a pile of different ones. All have there plus and minus. General we go with the middle of the road option. I do love a millennium though. Any ways we buy our stands from 15 to 20ish ft and then fit them how they need to be fit. Just leave a section or 2 off. We have some old 2 man stands that came 12 ft but they are probably 20 to 25 years old.

For the money I really like big game stands and muddies line of stands. Our coop has a great selection of stands.

As far as set up by yourself I have done it before but do my best not to. It's sketchy at best. And those were short stands there zero chance I would try to put a 20 footer up by myself.

A hang on setup may be a better set up for you. And there's a ton of new out there in that world.

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. I guess, if nothing else, I've confirmed that nobody is making exactly what I want. I'll review all of Nsghunter's and other's links carefully and see what I can find that comes closest.

I am in the remove a section camp on this one. It's not ideal but makes moving and placing them by yourself a little easier and safer.
And on a property that is primarily one big steep hillside, makes sense too. We had a 12' 2-person ladder stand where a middle section of ladder got bent, so we left it out. Now it's a 9' 2-person ladder. Placed on a steep hillside looking downhill, it doesn't make a bit of difference.

I have a few of these. 61 lbs. I have found them onsale at places for as little as $150. 18 feet to the shooting rail. This was has a full foot platform but I think they make another that has a smaller platform.

Do you have a tractor with loader? They make it easy!
I wish, but I do not. But it wouldn't matter. I expect to put it/them in a wooded area where a tractor would never reach. I can't even get my ATV in there.

I bought one of these off of Facebook Marketplace for $60. I don't think they're even made any more, but this one was still in the box. It was worth $60 to see how/if I can make it work for me. I may have to invest in the hoist system double browtine shared. Again, thanks for all the info and advice from all.

recon.webp

I love the ones sold at academy. They are just as comfortable as a milinium and less expensive. They are 18 feet but I leave off the bottom section of the ladder. You can catch them on sale when deer season gets closer.

I use one of these. I can put up a single or double ladder stand by myself.
After watching SCN put up a Millennium Ladder Stand more or less just by himself, I got one of these, too.

They indeed make erecting the stand relatively easy, by yourself, even a Millennium. Still better if you have a 2nd person while using the pully system.

However, be careful those last few inches before the stand begins "free"-leaning (or falling) towards the tree. I have "missed" the tree, i.e. the stand falls behind the tree. This can also happen when you're trying to position the erected stand, such as having to lift it & pull the bottom farther away from the tree base.

There are less placement issues the shorter your ladder stand. Where I've had some issues have been with a 20-ft ladder being placed against a less than straight tree.

Back