• Help Support TNDeer:

Lake Barkley... anyone?

TNReb

I've never fished Barkley (or even Kentucky for that matter)...

Me and some other guys are going in a couple of weeks. We're driving up around Eddyville Friday night and putting in somewhere in that area Saturday morning and fishing most of the day.

I don't know the first thing about the place. One of my buddies used to fish it a lot (yeeeaaars ago). I didn't pick the spot - he did, because it's not too far and he has some nostalgia for the area I suppose. I'm not complaining - I'm just saying that I don't have a choice in where we're going. I'm along for the ride (and providing an extra boat, haha).

Any general tips?

Go as far back in the creek as you can get. Trolling mud. Flip everything you can and throw a spinner bait in between. At least that's what's producing on the south end of the lake lately.

From watching most of the tournaments over the years, they are usually won on the river ledges with the traditional baits of huge spoons, crankbaits, and 10" worms. But, as the first post said, there are always some shallow fish on Barkley as well.

scn":337tyqjy said:
. . . . . there are always some shallow fish on Barkley as well.
Not just Barkley, but most waters.
And the shallow-water fish are often more aggressive and can be caught on top-water,
which means "more fun" to me.

We used to frequent staying at Lake Barkley Lodge for vacations.
Entire area is beautiful --- a fresh-water Fisherman's Paradise.
About the only fish of significance (to me) not there in the area is trout.

Edit.. we're not putting in around Eddyville like I thought. We're putting in at Prizer Point.

You can always catch fish shallow on Barkley so if you like that you can have fun. This time of year
I like a big worm in brush piles. Soak it as long as you can stand it.

If you get out at first light, the first hour of topwater fishing is usually pretty good this time of year. Fish a cove on the east side of the lake. When the sun breaks over the treetops, the topwater bite usually stops, just like you flipping a light switch.

Good luck and post up some pictures.

Well... another change of plans. We're going to Paris Landing now. Grew up just the other side of Paris and I've never even fished it.

Plans are changing again! Hahaha

BASS High School Nationals out of Paris Landing Saturday. 200+ boats (unless there's a cut?)...

only the top 10 teams will fish the final day.

fyi, the junior nationals is the weekend before that at the carrol county 1000 acre hole in the ground.

good luck. take TRIGGER's and double browtines advice. the lake is at peak water temp and the draw down pattern is beginning. a lot of anglers think fish go a little deeper when draw down begins but its right the opposite. they will follow the food and that being late shad and bluegill fry in the shallower water. some fish will still be on the 18-25ft ledges but i bet their bellies are full of fry from the night before. they wont all move at once during draw down but in stages, the first structure and cover off the ledges(humps,points, wood, etc) then suspended in the creeks mouths and then a push to the extreme back of the bays with the shad until the water temp reaches 45 degrees and then they will travel back to the calmer creek mouths for winter. exposed gravel bars are killer spots. they push baitfish up on the humps and bars to feed.

anyway thats my experience on KY lake mid section for what its worth. i havent fished Barkley in 25 years or anything north of pace point in 20.

doug wynn's latest fishing report says that the crappie have moved from 25 ft to 10-15ft and mixed in with LMB, so i would assume the draw down affects Barkley as well.

the lake will probably be around 357ft so you need to watch your lakemap. dont do like a co-worker of mine, he ran out of pilot knob on the west side wide open and hit a hump and messed up his prop after i warned him, lol.

Latest posts

Back