• Help Support TNDeer:

Lake Sturgeon monitoring and a request for your opinion...

choupique

For at least the past eight years, TWRA has been monitoring Lake Sturgeon catches by recreational fishermen by asking folks that catch a sturgeon to call a TWRA employee. By all accounts this has been a successful program, but has required an increasing amount of staff time as the number of sturgeon being caught increases. We're happy that this is becoming a problem!

The Tennessee Aquarium Conservation Institute is trying to create a reporting system for Lake Sturgeon sightings by fishermen. One option is to use the existing platform iNaturalist (https://www.inaturalist.org/), since it is easy to upload photos and other locality information. However, users would be required to create a separate login. Another option is a short webform on the Aquarium website, but you wouldn't be able to upload photos and there would be less information associated with the catch. Aquarium staff are afraid that creating a separate login might prevent people from reporting the information, though they'd prefer using the iNaturalist system -- if you're not familiar with it, it's a great site! As far as I know, there will still be a certificate of appreciation issued for each report regardless of which reporting scheme gets used.

Do you have a preference? If you were to catch a Lake Sturgeon, would a certificate of appreciation be enough of an incentive to login to iNaturalist to report it?

Many thanks.

Re: Lake Sturgeon monitoring and a request for your opinion.

Although I am in the wrong part of the state to actually take part, if I were to catch one, yes, it would be more than reason enough for me to report it.

Re: Lake Sturgeon monitoring and a request for your opinion.

Thanks!

The new website is live.

www.icaughtone.org

You can either submit an observation directly, or go through iNaturalist to be able to upload photos or other info. You can also still call TWRA for now...

Latest posts

Back