Lead sled

Gmed

I have one and use it to "one shot zero" by locking the gun in and walking the cross hairs to the bullet hole. It save a bunch of time and ammo. I usually shoot a couple rounds off the bench to verify, but not from the sled.

DaveTN

I come from a time when this was a "lead sled"....

Kn3YRMQ.jpg

BlackBelt

I absolutely LOVE my Lead Sled with the dual rails so I can use extended mags underneath. I zero in a lot of sights and scopes of all flavors...hunting scopes, red dots, lpvo's, iron sights, thermal sights, night vision scopes, holographic sights, etc.
That Lead Sled is versatile enough that it's worth its weight in gold.
That dual frame is the best thing since sliced bread for a firearm with a magazine that extends downward like an AR, AK, Hk pattern rifle, or submachine gun.
If I lock a firearm into the Lead Sled I can usually have it zero'd in 3 shots.
For years I used cheap rests and those required a lot of extra ammo being shot because of the variables inherent with the rests.
I do believe that if it were legal in the state of TN that I would ask my Lead Sled for it's hand in marriage. It has never let me down and I am happy with our relationship. Sure, the honeymoon might be a little awkward. But I can slap a blond haired wig on my Lead Sled and we can just see where the night may go...

fairchaser

Most rifles can handle the recoil of a lead sled. At 100 yards, you likely would see very little difference in the vertical caused by the difference between a shoulder and a lead sled. At greater distances, 300-500 yards, there would be 1/2 MOA or more of vertical difference. The lead sled will hit higher. I've seen it. Most rifles and loads aren't gonna notice a 1/2 MOA extra. That would be lost in the group.

Jcalder

Most rifles can handle the recoil of a lead sled. At 100 yards, you likely would see very little difference in the vertical caused by the difference between a shoulder and a lead sled. At greater distances, 300-500 yards, there would be 1/2 MOA or more of vertical difference. The lead sled will hit higher. I've seen it. Most rifles and loads aren't gonna notice a 1/2 MOA extra. That would be lost in the group.
Most people don't shoot enough shots in their groups to see the shift, if it's even there. Me and a few others have noticed a trend lately where people shoot their magnums one or two shots and they're done, putting the rifle back up. They really don't know how it groups.

I'd also agree with rifles handling the recoil, but I'd guess most scopes won't. That's a discussion for another day.

Jcalder

If anyone had an excuse to use a lead sled it would be me for sure, shooting that WinMag without a brake. 😬 Even the range master came by me when I shot and commented "man, why don't you put a brake on that monster?" 😀
You may be the anomaly. Most people wouldn't shoot that gun as well as they would a smaller caliber, and if you were to shoot 50 rounds in a match, how would your groups start looking. A lead sled is a tool which allows them to shoot a caliber well they normally couldn't.

MUP

You may be the anomaly. Most people wouldn't shoot that gun as well as they would a smaller caliber, and if you were to shoot 50 rounds in a match, how would your groups start looking. A lead sled is a tool which allows them to shoot a caliber well they normally couldn't.
I've shot up to 18 rounds during testing before with it, and even using a PAST recoil pad, my shoulder was blue for a few days.

fairchaser

Most people don't shoot enough shots in their groups to see the shift, if it's even there. Me and a few others have noticed a trend lately where people shoot their magnums one or two shots and they're done, putting the rifle back up. They really don't know how it groups.

I'd also agree with rifles handling the recoil, but I'd guess most scopes won't. That's a discussion for another day.
Cheap scopes probably not. By cheap I mean anything under $500. Btw, a statistically valid group would be 10, 10 shot groups. Most hunters don't shoot that.

Jcalder

Cheap scopes probably not. By cheap I mean anything under $500. Btw, a statistically valid group would be 10, 10 shot groups. Most hunters don't shoot that.
I don't think you need 10 of them, but 10 shot groups give you a good baseline of what you and your rifle will do.

I've also come to learn that there is no price point that indicates a good scope vs bad.

Latest posts