• Help Support TNDeer:

Leaving boat to go hunting public land?

catman529

Anyone got ideas on how to not have your boat stolen while you are hunting land that you can only access via boat?

Thanks to TNCharlie for giving me his old outboard, I can now motor upstream and hunt a piece of public land only accessible by boat. I am afraid to leave it tied up while I hunt though. Any tips?

I leave my boat tied up, and hope for the best. Unfortunately a chain ain't gonna stop a theif, and chances are a theif would just tow it away if you took the wire off... The only way to keep someone from stealing it is to stay within sight, but I know that's probably not where you'd like to hunt

Nhill said:
Take the distributor wire with you, or chain it to a tree.
may have to try one of those heavy duty combination locks, and if the cable isn't long enough then get a heavy chain for it.

Pursuit Hunter said:
Clear a shooting lane from the boat to your stand.
:D not a bad idea, but I wouldn't want any holes or blood all over my boat..........

Your best bet would be chainring it down and maybe pulling it on land behind something.

Try buying a tracking device you can hide on it and carve a hidden number so you'll have proof it is yours when you go to get it.

I use a long cable and heavy duty lock that I bought at Home Depot. I found landing areas near some decent sized trees so that I can wrap the cable around multiple tree trunks. If someone shows up with some stout cable cutters and they want my boat then they will get it, but the average person who might stumble upon it won't be able to take it.

piffnmo said:
take the plug outta the boat after you pull it up on the bank. they wont get far

that'd be a good way to make the thiefs mad but you'll still be out a boat because they'll most likely swim to shore and run away leaving you with no idea what happened.

If you have an iphone, you can hide it under the front deck in the dry, and leave it on. If you come out and the boat is gone, a simple log onto find my iphone will give you the exact location, and police can pick it up for you. Sounds like a pain, but it is cheaper than buying other tracking devices, and works remarkably well.

Plus, you will be able to take a picture and post it to TNDeer when you kill that big public land buck, before you load it up.

well considering my options I think the cheapest but still effective way is a stout lock and chain it to a big tree or two. I don't have an iphone and if I did, it would be in the field with me so I could check Tndeer to stay awake :D

I'm sure most will say i am stupid, but i just tie mine up and go into the woods. I guess i have been lucky and not had anyone steal it. this is on Priest and there is boat traffic year round. I have never looked at anyone's boat but i think most of the guys out there just pull them up to the bank, tie off on something and go hunt. I've walked by guys getting into boats and driven by people pulling up to shore and all i saw them do was pull it up and get out or untie, push off and go.

catman529 said:
well considering my options I think the cheapest but still effective way is a stout lock and chain it to a big tree or two. I don't have an iphone and if I did, it would be in the field with me so I could check Tndeer while a big B&C buck walks by to never be seen again.

:)

Football Hunter said:
I used to hunt OHWMA,and PPWMA all the time by my bass boat,just pulled the key,never had a problem
but my boat is small, light and I drive by the tiller and not a console. Could be towed or even rowed away with no problem. Your bass boat would get its lower unit destroyed on this river. I have to even be careful with my little boat and 5 hp motor because of sand bars, logs, riffles, etc

Master Chief said:
catman529 said:
well considering my options I think the cheapest but still effective way is a stout lock and chain it to a big tree or two. I don't have an iphone and if I did, it would be in the field with me so I could check Tndeer while a big B&C buck walks up to never be seen again by his fellow deer.

:)
There I fixed it. Haven't lost a deer or turkey due to Tndeer yet!

Latest posts

Back