• Help Support TNDeer:

Let's Talk Catoosa

quackaholic

I've got the upcoming muzzleloader hunt starting the 24th. I haven't been in a good long while, and I keep hearing negative statements about it. Then I got curious, on the short 9 day bow hunt, the area killed 70 deer, and at least 2 bears. I don't know how many hogs, I didn't check. So I scrolled through all wma data and nowhere put up comparable numbers; of the which, most have been open all season. Some of those had done had some muzzleloader hunts. Now granted it wasn't a large number of bucks taken, but given the fact the bowhunt there is probably the worst part of the year to see mature bucks. I say mature because antler requirement puts them on the mature side. So why do so many say it sucks now?

I've got the upcoming muzzleloader hunt starting the 24th. I haven't been in a good long while, and I keep hearing negative statements about it. Then I got curious, on the short 9 day bow hunt, the area killed 70 deer, and at least 2 bears. I don't know how many hogs, I didn't check. So I scrolled through all wma data and nowhere put up comparable numbers; of the which, most have been open all season. Some of those had done had some muzzleloader hunts. Now granted it wasn't a large number of bucks taken, but given the fact the bowhunt there is probably the worst part of the year to see mature bucks. I say mature because antler requirement puts them on the mature side. So why do so many say it sucks now?
We go there sometimes. It's big, thick, and tons of people wanting to hunt the same spot.
We usually try to find an area that no one is in.
We've seen deer, but never killed anything but time there.
Don't hate it...but didn't put in for it this year.
Going to chuck Swan instead.

We go there sometimes. It's big, thick, and tons of people wanting to hunt the same spot.
We usually try to find an area that no one is in.
We've seen deer, but never killed anything but time there.
Don't hate it...but didn't put in for it this year.
Going to chuck Swan instead.
Chuck Swan is a little more irritating to me to hunt. However, I have a soft spot for it. I really just wanted a place the resembles an old hunt camp to take my son in law. He wasn't raised hunting, but he's fell in love with it. So I thought he might enjoy the experience of staying in a tent with all the wood fires burning and taters and onions cooked on the ol coleman.

Chuck Swan is a little more irritating to me to hunt. However, I have a soft spot for it. I really just wanted a place the resembles an old hunt camp to take my son in law. He wasn't raised hunting, but he's fell in love with it. So I thought he might enjoy the experience of staying in a tent with all the wood fires burning and taters and onions cooked on the ol coleman.
Sounds like fun. I'm sure he will enjoy it either way.
We have only hunted CS once before. Seen deer, but nothing taken. I hunt with my daughter, so we try to hunt places reasonably accessible...and not a long drag back out.. she's not much help.. 😂
Best of luck to you. And be careful...can get crazy there at times. ML probably not that bad...but rifle... different story.

There is no telling how many people it took to kill those 70 deer. Catoosa is normally packed solid with people. There will be a few good bucks killed on the gun hunts but 2000 people get drawn. I hunted it when I was younger but just don't care to fight the crowds anymore. There are some good deer but I would have a plan A,B, C , D etc.......Personally I wish they would cut the numbers in half on the gun hunts to make for a better quality hunt . Good luck and try to avoid the crowds if possible, the camping should be fun and you never know up on the mountain what may show up!

You have to look at the acreage vs the amount of deer and people out there.
So compared to Prentice Cooper or LBL? People, acres, or just not liking the terrain? Because LBL has been open and they haven't put up those numbers. Nor has any other management areas. That is my point. I know a lot of people don't enjoy hunting inside those clear cuts. But as far as deer killed it seems to still be better early on than any of the others. The only one with as many killed and more bucks is Old Hickory. And that is with season open with regular seasons. So in essence, 20 more days of hunting.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back