• Help Support TNDeer:

License question?

Doskil

Does a non resident need trout fishing privileges to fish Watauga or South Holston Lakes?

Thanks

If you are trout fishing, you have to have the NR all fish license even if you don't plan on keeping the trout. I know there are sections in South Holston that are stocked by both TN and VA. If you are fishing in that area with trout type baits, I would suggest having the all fish.

In cases where the officer has reason to believe that trout are being targeted, they often will issue the citation and let the judge decide who is or is not telling the truth. A citation will either result in a trip to court or a pretty hefty cash bond instead of the court appearance.

An all fish license would negate worrying about the above scenario.

I fish both lakes pretty regularly and you will occasionally catch trout on about any lure. I'm usually bass fishing but have caught trout on spinner baits and plastic worms even on top water plugs!

I remember a guy telling me there is some kind of special license for South Holston that covers fishing (any kind) in the TN and VA waters since its in both states. Maybe SCN can comment about it. I keep a VA and TN license so never needed it so didn't pay much attention to the specifics. Seems he called it a South Holston license?

Doskil":2ymam1cv said:
Thanks

Just wanted to be sure in case I would catch a trout walleye fishing
walleye fishing is pretty distinct from trout fishing, although you may catch both kinds of fish while walleye fishing. I guess you can hope the game warden would notice the difference, or just buy the license for trout to avoid the guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wish a game warden would weigh in here. It's a good question. But, as a former game warden, I'll tell you most of them are very reasonable.

If you're fishing water that is multi-species... and you are using a technique clearly applicable to a non-trout species... they're not going to make an issue of it. They have to be prepared to go before a judge and swear you were clearly breaking the law. They don't like going before judges without solid evidence (even though many judges wouldn't know a trout from a bluegill).

That said, if I were fishing trout water using a method that I might potentially catch good trout... I would want the option to keep them. It's $22 for an annual trout license, or you can even buy a one-day "all-species" license for $11.50. Pretty small price for peace of mind AND potentially more fish on the stringer.

I never bought a trout license fishing those lakes. We always targeted walleye and bass. Yes you can buy a south Holston permit that's only good for that lake and it's good on both the tn/va sides

catman529":iin4der4 said:
Doskil":iin4der4 said:
Thanks

Just wanted to be sure in case I would catch a trout walleye fishing
walleye fishing is pretty distinct from trout fishing, although you may catch both kinds of fish while walleye fishing. I guess you can hope the game warden would notice the difference, or just buy the license for trout to avoid the guessing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not if you are deep trolling.

You can sometimes catch trout trolling for walleye.

I got an email from the TWRA. Here is what they say:

You would only need that license if you plan on keeping any trout. You would need to release any trout caught if you do not have the license that includes trout fishing.

Latest posts

Back