• Help Support TNDeer:

Life vest?

moondawg

What kind of life vest do you wear in the summer? A typical vest? Or the slimmer one that needs a CO2 charge? Any particular brands you'd recommend?

Right now, I have the Onyx Automatic/Manual inflatable one. I'll admit it's great for the heat of the summer. But is it reliable if you fall into the water? Thus...considering other options.

You need to test it while the water is warm. Also a great time to learn if you can actually get back in the boat unassisted, absent a ladder it is no easy task and just imagine if the water temp was in the 50's and you are wearing heavy cloths/boots. The re-arm kits for your vest are inexpensive. I have a Mustang HIT Elite and wear it 100% of the time it is so comfortable. I fish alone generally.

I used to wear inflables..... it's definitely the cooler option but idk if it's any more comfortable. I have had a few issues over the past seasons. I saw a vest dropped in the water that didn't go off (not a manual only), had vest deploy in heavy rain, had vest explode in the boat compartment while stored. I say if this is your chosen route spare no expense in getting the very best. I have invested in high quality zip up 3 & 4 buckle traditional vests and hung the inflatables up. The cheaper manuals drive me crazy. If you are knocked out you can not pull the cord and unconscious people tend to sink. Hitting the console, motor, deck, or even water at high speed has a fine chance of knocking a man out cold, and for me it's not worth the money or temporary discomfort. Just my .02 worth!! Good luck.

I will not trust my life anymore to an auto-inflate life vest. I have read too many horror stories of them not inflating and the person wearing them were knocked out. They were saved by others coming to their rescue. I wear a full life vest with rib protection. It's a small price to pay for your life. I don't care how hot it is in the summer. A full vest always when the big motor is on.

I am in a kayak, so the motor option isn't of an concern to me. However, swamping or tipping over in the kayak is. I suppose I need a practice run that involves testing the inflatable PDF and re entering the yak while it's still warm.

I'm still gonna get a standard PDF vest for the cooler months. Might even replace the auto/manual one.

Lots of stories lately where people have gone overboard and the auto inflatables failed.. My opinion is to only use those if fishing if you got one and want to wear something. Go with the standard vest when running down the lake.

TNRazorback":2n2ddh5j said:
High back paddling vest. Wear a long-sleeve Columbia terminal tackle shirt and wet it down if it gets too hot.
Good point. That and one of those cooling towels on the back of the neck.

Back