Line Stripping and refilling

Kirk

Spent some time this morning stripping off old fishing line and re-spooled with new line. How often do you re-spool your fishing line?

IMG_3342.jpg

Labboy

Seems to be quit often these days. When I was young we would keep the same line on for years it seemed like. Just a quality thing with all the different line these days. Just when I think I found a great new line just wait and the next batch will be horrible.

TheLBLman

How often do you re-spool your fishing line?
Depends on how much am fishing & what types lines you're talking.

Braid definitely doesn't need changing as often as flouro & mono.

Probably much more important to just be constantly checking your line for nicks. I'm often cutting off a few inches of line with each trip because of nicks & fear of nicks.

When I fished a lot with mono, I changed mono typically twice a year.
Seldom use it any more.
Am changing braid once a year, knock on wood, doesn't seem to need changing even then.

But perhaps I just haven't been fishing enough over the past couple decades 🤠

TRIGGER

I fish floro mostly. I change it (XPS) twice a year in general but more often if I use a particular rod a lot. I label each reel with a label maker with line size, type and date. I never have an issue with line breaking unless it's my fault. Mostly change it due to not having enough left on the spool or too much memory to cast good. I should add most of my rods are 17lb or 20lb line.

Crow Terminator

What kind of line?
For crappie and trolling crankbaits, I use 10# mono. The brand and model...is probably why I swap it up. Like Labboy noted in his post...every time I find one that is good, they either change something about it or I get a bad batch. The last couple of years I was using that Sunline mono and loved it. This year I spooled up with it and on ALL the rods, it was junk. It was breaking and or slipping with just tying a knot and lost several fish and crankbaits when they would just break off with no real pressure at all. So as of now...I'm spooled with Berkley Big Game 10# test. I don't use braid and only use fluoro for spinning reels and trout fishing.

East TN Bowhunter

I spool about half my spinning reel with 10lb mono, some cheap stuff. Then, I spool Berkley Trilene XL Smooth Casting Mono 6lb or 8lb on top of that and always stop a little short of where the spool edge/bevel starts. This will save you half of the line you need every time you respool and stopping short of the bevel on the spool will keep it from coming off as easy when you go to cast, especially when it starts getting twists and memory in it. If you are bobber fishing or casting a swimbait you will get more line twists quicker. It seems like every other all day trip, I respool the pole I used the most.