Line Stripping and refilling

Kirk

Spent some time this morning stripping off old fishing line and re-spooled with new line. How often do you re-spool your fishing line?

IMG_3342.jpg

Labboy

Seems to be quit often these days. When I was young we would keep the same line on for years it seemed like. Just a quality thing with all the different line these days. Just when I think I found a great new line just wait and the next batch will be horrible.

TheLBLman

How often do you re-spool your fishing line?
Depends on how much am fishing & what types lines you're talking.

Braid definitely doesn't need changing as often as flouro & mono.

Probably much more important to just be constantly checking your line for nicks. I'm often cutting off a few inches of line with each trip because of nicks & fear of nicks.

When I fished a lot with mono, I changed mono typically twice a year.
Seldom use it any more.
Am changing braid once a year, knock on wood, doesn't seem to need changing even then.

But perhaps I just haven't been fishing enough over the past couple decades 🤠

TRIGGER

I fish floro mostly. I change it (XPS) twice a year in general but more often if I use a particular rod a lot. I label each reel with a label maker with line size, type and date. I never have an issue with line breaking unless it's my fault. Mostly change it due to not having enough left on the spool or too much memory to cast good. I should add most of my rods are 17lb or 20lb line.

Crow Terminator

What kind of line?
For crappie and trolling crankbaits, I use 10# mono. The brand and model...is probably why I swap it up. Like Labboy noted in his post...every time I find one that is good, they either change something about it or I get a bad batch. The last couple of years I was using that Sunline mono and loved it. This year I spooled up with it and on ALL the rods, it was junk. It was breaking and or slipping with just tying a knot and lost several fish and crankbaits when they would just break off with no real pressure at all. So as of now...I'm spooled with Berkley Big Game 10# test. I don't use braid and only use fluoro for spinning reels and trout fishing.

Latest posts