Livescope and Saltwater

mike243

Well we see how it has affected fresh water fishing has it increased the harvest in saltwater to the point that limits are being adjusted also? I know snapper limits have shrunk.

turk870

On that topic I was listening to Bear Grease podcast the other day about Paddlefish, there was some game wardens on there from OK. They said that is why there has been so many resent world record paddle fish caught. They just look for the biggest fish then snag it.

WTM

the marlin tournament crowd uses themBUT those units are minimum $100k and up.

lol those units have a wee bit more power and they operate like 360 but with live sonar and track a single fish around the ocean using gps and sonar triangulation.

as far as live sonar making a difference? dont know but from some of the videos those guys do and the striper captains in the northeast, they have 2d sonar and sideimaging down so well it probably wouldnt make a difference.

check out mike medley on youtube, the dude is a sonar (and now ffs) savant.

spoonie

the marlin tournament crowd uses themBUT those units are minimum $100k and up.

lol those units have a wee bit more power and they operate like 360 but with live sonar and track a single fish around the ocean using gps and sonar triangulation.

as far as live sonar making a difference? dont know but from some of the videos those guys do and the striper captains in the northeast, they have 2d sonar and sideimaging down so well it probably wouldnt make a difference.

check out mike medley on youtube, the dude is a sonar (and now ffs) savant.
Those marlin tournment guys spend some crazy money! I listened to a podcast yesterday on a report of recent Marlin tournament where the winner ran like 860 miles one way to fish a rig, ended up winning around 350k with the marlin they caught.

WTM

Those marlin tournment guys spend some crazy money! I listened to a podcast yesterday on a report of recent Marlin tournament where the winner ran like 860 miles one way to fish a rig, ended up winning around 350k with the marlin they caught.
with michael jordans money, itd be like spending $2.50 for us. that tournament he fishes in is a $10 million prize.

WTM

forward facing sonar pretty much started with saltwater boats but only took off when garmin entered the freshwater market and tournament anglers started using it.

circa 2007

IMG_1977.png

Pilchard

I have not used FFS sonar in saltwater(or freshwater) but I could see many applications for it.

For a while I fished the billfish circuit as a mate. We would routinely mark fish more than 200 feet below the surface and we would sit on them all day.

Two crazy things that would happen regularly...

You could be trolling at 9 knots and mark a fish 300ft down and 10 seconds later he would be in your spread on the surface eating a pitch bait.

When daytime swordfishing we would regularly mark fish 1500ft below the surface and adjust the depth of the bait on the next drift and catch the fish. We would drop the bait more than a mile ahead of where we marked the fish and drift across the same mark and most times you could hook him.

Latest posts