• Help Support TNDeer:

Looking for fly fishing advice

BetterDaniel

I just got into fly fishing last fall and have only been once. Im looking for suggestions on flies, species, and rivers around the knoxville area to try out this spring. Anyone have any good suggestions?

You are in the best place to flyfish east of the Mississippi. However this time of year stinks because TVA is lowering water on surrounding lakes thus the tailwaters are unwadeable right now. Winter fishing is great on the tailwaters with the water off and the rest of the year is phenomenal. The Smokies and Cherokee are great as well. 1000 miles of trout fishing within 1 hour radius of Knoxville.

so tie flies, and learn to cast now so that you can fish later.

whatever you do DON'T fish for stripers with a flyrod.......

a few pics over the past 10 years or so from several fishing friends and a couple from me. All released, all caught on flies

Attachments

• B465A5A3-A6B6-4B6E-87DF-1716DB02E2ED.jpeg
    B465A5A3-A6B6-4B6E-87DF-1716DB02E2ED.jpeg
    476.3 KB · Views: 119
  • A71B3FA8-CC1C-4C63-95F0-9BF5291809CD.jpeg
    A71B3FA8-CC1C-4C63-95F0-9BF5291809CD.jpeg
    619.9 KB · Views: 120
  • CF608B89-78DE-4E97-AAD8-A85ED6476119.jpeg
    CF608B89-78DE-4E97-AAD8-A85ED6476119.jpeg
    311.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 7FFAFA2B-502B-4DFD-978E-421C06114E3F.jpeg
    7FFAFA2B-502B-4DFD-978E-421C06114E3F.jpeg
    15.6 KB · Views: 102
  • 8752231E-4C92-4ECA-98D7-06C5F44CF234.jpeg
    8752231E-4C92-4ECA-98D7-06C5F44CF234.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 115
  • D5A4FEEB-56E9-4AAE-9FB1-BAF08E80FF32.jpeg
    D5A4FEEB-56E9-4AAE-9FB1-BAF08E80FF32.jpeg
    616.5 KB · Views: 108
  • EF70F14E-3ABA-44EE-B333-1FAAB02B2A36.jpeg
    EF70F14E-3ABA-44EE-B333-1FAAB02B2A36.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 109
  • A864477C-670D-452D-A14A-6C5884336CEE.jpeg
    A864477C-670D-452D-A14A-6C5884336CEE.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
You are in the best place to flyfish east of the Mississippi. However this time of year stinks because TVA is lowering water on surrounding lakes thus the tailwaters are unwadeable right now. Winter fishing is great on the tailwaters with the water off and the rest of the year is phenomenal. The Smokies and Cherokee are great as well. 1000 miles of trout fishing within 1 hour radius of Knoxville.

so tie flies, and learn to cast now so that you can fish later.

whatever you do DON'T fish for stripers with a flyrod.......

a few pics over the past 10 years or so from several fishing friends and a couple from me.
Is tying your own flies advantageous over buying them? I've been rolling this around lately.

Little River Outfitters in Townsend posts a fishing report every morning. It's a good place to learn some.

Size 12 & 16 Parachute Adam's with a little warm weather in February will produce some amazing dry fly fishing in the Smoky's.

I would take the time to fish the park. All wild fish as stocking ended in the mid 70s. One has the chance to catch rainbows, browns and brookies. I fished the Middle Prong of LR and got a Grand Slam- 5 'bows, 4 browns, 2 brookies on one day. Take time to visit Little River Outfitters, great bunch of folks who will get you started. Tying- part of the fun of fly fishing. One can tie established patterns or let your imagination run wild. I have found that I can fish from SE TN up to the park with only 6-8 patterns carried in two small boxes on my lanyard. Also check into a Trout Unlimited chapter in Knoxville or Maryville/Townsend; www.tu.org. Chapters offer loads of information plus free casting and tying lessons. A member of the Hiwassee Chapter told me about the MPLR.

I grew up in Bryson City, NC, just across the mountain from Gatlinburg. Learned to fly fish in my yard when I was a kid. Some of the absolute best fly fishing in the world around there. This time of year, you just have to be careful and fish slow. Most times, it will take multiple casts to get a fish to bite. Use light leader, and right now try some type of midge or nymph pattern. Deep Creek is good, Nantahala is great, Cherokee is awesome (and stocked every week) and fishing the Tuckaseegee from Cullowhee down past Sylva is really good (its delayed harvest and loaded with good one.) When it starts to warm up, parachute adams are really good--or really anything with white wings, and then anything with a yellow body. Hope this helps.

Unless you are wealthy, I'd pick either hunting or flyfishing for a hobbie. I started fly fishing last year and it is 110% addictive and i"m always buying stuff to fly fish with.. I can't seem to stop :)

Unless you are wealthy, I'd pick either hunting or flyfishing for a hobbie. I started fly fishing last year and it is 110% addictive and i"m always buying stuff to fly fish with.. I can't seem to stop :)
I have too many hobbies as it is. Im already feeling it. Atleast fly fishing is cheaper than cars 😅

You have some great smalllmouth streams too. Don't overlook them for trout, especially in the summer months when water temps may stress trout.
Very true!!!
Little River Outfitters in Townsend posts a fishing report every morning. It's a good place to learn some.

Size 12 & 16 Parachute Adam's with a little warm weather in February will produce some amazing dry fly fishing in the Smoky's.
this box is a must learn and EASY to tie, and will catch fish all day in the Smokies. And yes I tied these

Attachments

• 6BA1EFB6-8FE1-4DFF-A69A-AEAE732CDDB3.jpeg
    6BA1EFB6-8FE1-4DFF-A69A-AEAE732CDDB3.jpeg
    45.3 KB · Views: 73
You have some great smallmouth streams too. Don't overlook them for trout, especially in the summer months when water temps may stress trout.
^^^^^^ This

Keep in mind, you'll probably be driving right by some good smallmouth fishing just to get to trout water. Before moving out of East TN, I pretty much quit trout fishing and fished only for warmwater fish. You can also catch bass and panfish at any of the parks around Fort Loudon Lake. Small wooly-buggers in black and white will catch about anything you can think of.

I just got into fly fishing last fall and have only been once. Im looking for suggestions on flies, species, and rivers around the knoxville area to try out this spring. Anyone have any good suggestions?
Welcome to hell, haha. Just kidding fly fishing has taken me to places all over the world and without it I would never have even heard of some of these places.

In terms of flies here in the east. I'm super simple and literally fish one or two patterns on the tailwaters, mountain streams, and smallmouth.
Tailwaters- keep two sizes of pheasant tails, and a midge pattern of your choice.
mountains- never sink caddis and a pheasant tail
smallmouth- chartreuse popper, white conehead zuddler

people love to carry a billion patterns on them when they fish, ive found right or wrong that around here, out west, on the saltwater flats, or wherever keeping it simple is key. Present a fly properly and what that fly is rarely matters. It's all about the presentation and mood of the fish. I say this to help you not get overwhelmed by starting out with fly boxes full of flies you have no idea what they represent or when to use. Those I list above look a little like everything a fish will eat, around here, and will work 9/10 days.

Rivers:
Clinch: always moody, always challenging, but also rewarding. Access points for wading Millers Island, 61 Bridge (Baptist Church parking area), or above to Weir. Although on the weir you need to be as tall as @7mm08 in some areas haha
Holston- Nances Ferry is about the only good access
Smallmouth- More than I could list, but a great place to start is the Little Pigeon in Sevierville. Access point vary but I like the area around the Fair grounds the best
Mountains- unlimited options, but I hate the streams that are easy access. Hiking in or fishing small tributaries will be more enjoyable and far more productive

Welcome to hell, haha. Just kidding fly fishing has taken me to places all over the world and without it I would never have even heard of some of these places.

In terms of flies here in the east. I'm super simple and literally fish one or two patterns on the tailwaters, mountain streams, and smallmouth.
Tailwaters- keep two sizes of pheasant tails, and a midge pattern of your choice.
mountains- never sink caddis and a pheasant tail
smallmouth- chartreuse popper, white conehead zuddler

people love to carry a billion patterns on them when they fish, ive found right or wrong that around here, out west, on the saltwater flats, or wherever keeping it simple is key. Present a fly properly and what that fly is rarely matters. It's all about the presentation and mood of the fish. I say this to help you not get overwhelmed by starting out with fly boxes full of flies you have no idea what they represent or when to use. Those I list above look a little like everything a fish will eat, around here, and will work 9/10 days.

Rivers:
Clinch: always moody, always challenging, but also rewarding. Access points for wading Millers Island, 61 Bridge (Baptist Church parking area), or above to Weir. Although on the weir you need to be as tall as @7mm08 in some areas haha
Holston- Nances Ferry is about the only good access
Smallmouth- More than I could list, but a great place to start is the Little Pigeon in Sevierville. Access point vary but I like the area around the Fair grounds the best
Mountains- unlimited options, but I hate the streams that are easy access. Hiking in or fishing small tributaries will be more enjoyable and far more productive
Listen to this KID! If it swims , including in a fish bowl , he's caught it on a fly. This crap about being Setterman..... I ain't ever seen him with a setter, but then again he's part goat and I'm not.

Latest posts

Back