• Help Support TNDeer:

Looking for fly fishing advice

I can quit anytime! I just don't want to!!
fish bass GIF
Stripers
Carp
Tarpon
Redfish
Flats boat
Bay Boat to replace flats boat
House in BEAUFORT now
A BUNCH OF DOLLARS SO FAR!!!! I'd say it's cheaper than crack cocaine, I guess!!! Ha!

Last edited:
Welcome to hell, haha. Just kidding fly fishing has taken me to places all over the world and without it I would never have even heard of some of these places.

In terms of flies here in the east. I'm super simple and literally fish one or two patterns on the tailwaters, mountain streams, and smallmouth.
Tailwaters- keep two sizes of pheasant tails, and a midge pattern of your choice.
mountains- never sink caddis and a pheasant tail
smallmouth- chartreuse popper, white conehead zuddler

people love to carry a billion patterns on them when they fish, ive found right or wrong that around here, out west, on the saltwater flats, or wherever keeping it simple is key. Present a fly properly and what that fly is rarely matters. It's all about the presentation and mood of the fish. I say this to help you not get overwhelmed by starting out with fly boxes full of flies you have no idea what they represent or when to use. Those I list above look a little like everything a fish will eat, around here, and will work 9/10 days.

Rivers:
Clinch: always moody, always challenging, but also rewarding. Access points for wading Millers Island, 61 Bridge (Baptist Church parking area), or above to Weir. Although on the weir you need to be as tall as @7mm08 in some areas haha
Holston- Nances Ferry is about the only good access
Smallmouth- More than I could list, but a great place to start is the Little Pigeon in Sevierville. Access point vary but I like the area around the Fair grounds the best
Mountains- unlimited options, but I hate the streams that are easy access. Hiking in or fishing small tributaries will be more enjoyable and far more productive
Thanks, this is a lot of good stuff to work from. Thank you for the details.

Whatever you do, don't EVER let anyone bushwhack you into a fly fishing trip for tarpon. It is the closest thing in fishing to just shooting it into your veins. I don't think there is a cure.
Haha, that is the truth. I'll add do not even consider going to the Carribean in the winter to chase bonefish. It really sucks being in 85 degree weather in places that are like postcards chasing a fish that lives in ankle deep water while your friends back home are huddled around a fire.

Been a while, but this should work or be close.

et some bead head pheasant tail nymphs. #12 probably be fine. Use strike indicator.

Clinch River
Check the generator schedule first. Be safe. Water rises fast when they turn them on. Go north of Knoxville. Take Racoon Valley Rd exit to hwy 441 and to the millers island boat ramp. Wade out and to the left. Fish different spots until you find a good spot. Movig water is good. Ripples. Near bigger rocks they stack behind. Enjoy!

et some bead head pheasant tail nymphs. #12 probably be fine. Use strike indicator.

Clinch River
Check the generator schedule first. Be safe. Water rises fast when they turn them on. Go north of Knoxville. Take Racoon Valley Rd exit to hwy 441 and to the millers island boat ramp. Wade out and to the left. Fish different spots until you find a good spot. Movig water is good. Ripples. Near bigger rocks they stack behind. Enjoy!
Thanks for the advice! Im not far from the clinch River.

Clinch River
What time of year did you find was best?

Thanks for the advice! Im not far from the clinch River.

Welcome.

The weir dam area used to hold some big fish in some deeper pools, but I always had more volume of catches near the millers island in the quicker moving water.

Also spend money on good 100% fluorocarbon tippet or tapered leaders. I would use a tapered leader and then replace any break offs or cast offs with tippet. My method was self taught, crude, and probably not the best... but I caught plenty of fish. Again, be safe out there. If water starts rising and you are a ways from the ramp, just head towards the bank somewhere (not the island) to get out. Dont risk trying to wade the whloe way back.

What time of year did you find was best?

Time of year didnt seem to matter too much. Water was always the same temp, regardless. Whats most important is timing of the generators. When they are running multiple, you can't wade. Do some research on that part. I can't remember if running one generator was still wadeable or not... maybe someone else will chime in on that.

Haha, that is the truth. I'll add do not even consider going to the Carribean in the winter to chase bonefish. It really sucks being in 85 degree weather in places that are like postcards chasing a fish that lives in ankle deep water while your friends back home are huddled around a fire.
The Caribbean fishery is cheating! Take a trip down to Biscayne Bay and fish for the ones that are educated😁

The biggest bonefish I've ever seen was caught while we were chumming for tarpon in Key West Harbor. The guy I was with hooked the fish and tried to give me the rod since he was sick of catching tarpon... I said no, you hooked it, it's your fish. It was probably 13lbs and it ate a piece of shrimp trash on 80lb leader!

Lose your mind, wallet, and then you'll elevate that to saltwater!!!

stripers are like pot...... gateway drug!!! Ha!!!
lol ok, too late. i know where there are some good size common carp im gonna try too.

i havent quite figured out where gasper goo go when they go shallow but they would be fun to try to catch on a fly.

Time of year didnt seem to matter too much. Water was always the same temp, regardless. Whats most important is timing of the generators. When they are running multiple, you can't wade. Do some research on that part. I can't remember if running one generator was still wadeable or not... maybe someone else will chime in on that.
Trying to wade on one Gen on the Clinch means your body just takes longer to float into CLINTON......... absolutely no wading on one generator

Latest posts

Back