• Help Support TNDeer:

Lost a buck : the update

JAD said:
How far did he actually go? Was there much blood?

I'm curious about this too.

Oh yeah, as some others said, there is nothing like getting the 1st deer on your own property. To be honest, I can't remember my 1st deer and I was probably 20 when I shot it - definitely not a kid. But I can recall the 1st one I shot on my own property, there is nothing like that feeling. Congratulations.

JAD said:
How far did he actually go? Was there much blood?

Well it was a 5 yard shot to begin with, I was sitting under a pine tree in a camp chair with a leafy camo suit on. There was blood at the impact spot and where he did a 90 degree turn towards the woods. We didn't find blood for about another 25 yards where he entered the woods. He went in about 4 yards and turned downhill.

It was about another 20 yards before we found more blood and shortly after that a crash spot. The funny thing is, there was two trenches in the ground where his antlers dug, but very little blood leading me to believe he stood immediately back up and started walking.
after that we found blood about every 10 ft or so, most of the time only a few drops, every third one or so a good amount.

He made it to the bottom of the hill into a dry creek bed, turned and followed the bed about 40 yards and dropped.

Total distance I would estimate 100-120ish yards through some thick stuff. About 75 of that before the first crash. I could tell he was injured pretty bad because he was slamming through the brush breaking branches and even a couple small trees on the way.

Thanks to all for the comments. I have learned a lot from this little episode. He was a tough track, if it hadn't been for the friends that were with me, I might have never found him.

A 5 yard shot? Amazing that could could get drawn and get a shot off that close. Congratulations.

Yep, it's amazing how hard a deer can be to find when they run only 100-120 yards. I shot a doe with my ML a couple of years ago with the sun in my eyes and had a heck of a time finding her. She only ran maybe 40 yards.

Latest posts

Back