• Help Support TNDeer:

Merino Wool Thoughts

DeerMan66

I got my first set of merino wool long underwear last year before deer season. I got the 250 gram set. They are very warm and comfortable. I stayed warm in much colder weather than I expected them to keep me warm. They don't make me sweat when I'm walking in and out from my stands. I recently bought a pair of 400 grams. My plan for them is to wear both pairs at the same time to try to eliminate my insulated bibs until it gets down below 25 degrees. What experiences do others have with merino wool?

It is great stuff, but, IMO, it isn't going to match up to your insulated bibs and let you eliminate them.

And, again an opinion, much of it from the major outdoor retail companies is WAY overpriced. If you don't absolutely have to have camo, there usually is a wide selection of styles of the same material (at least for the upper body) on ebay that sells for pennies on the dollar compared with what you pay for the "hunting" stuff. I really don't care if it is black or brown if it is going to be a base layer. Some of these companies are giving hunters a royal screwing with their base layer pricing.

One thing that has stepped up my warmth is wearing the heaviest merino wool base layer. Several years ago i came across insulated camo pants from sportsman guide. The ones that have black quilted insulation forgot the name for the insulation. Not the fleece lined. I have both while the fleece lined is warm. It's not as warm as the other ones. I put them over the heavy merino wooI thermals. haven't used my bibs since. The jacket I use that is the warmest is a camo carhartt that has the cotton duck material like there bibs. I also have a long sleeve camo shirt over the thermals. Then a camo hooded sweat shirt then the jacket. My feet is what gets me. Still haven't found out how to keep them warm in a stand. On the ground my feet are fine.

My .02, merino is a great base layer, we all agree on that…but you need airspace/loft to trap heat on top of that for truly cold conditions. Doubling up on merino layers would not be the same in bitter cold.

I can wear a merino base layer, with a puffer jacket in nearly all weather.

I also like a base layer with a puffer vest, and soft shell/rain jacket outer layer down to about freezing.

Also- if you are sitting on a cold metal or ladder or lock in stand, you aren't doing any favors. Carey yourself a good insulated seat pad.

Love it. I very rarely wear insulated bibs or a parka anymore, it has to be pretty bad to do that. The First Lite Furnace 350 grams are all I need probably 95% of the time in cold weather. I have lighter weight baselayers for below that level. It is nice to not have the bulk of insulated bibs and parkas when hunting the steep as a horses face stuff.

Agree with @scn above...can find tons of it on eBay for cheap...(Thanks @scn for the tip). Merino doesn't stop wind for chit....will need a windproof layer. Otherwise....hard to beat.
Exactly but ...I've found a better way to stay warm . Stay home ......if it's real cold I don't hunt . I'm at that point of my hunting career .

One thing that has stepped up my warmth is wearing the heaviest merino wool base layer.
I typically need to go light with the base layers due to a long walk in.

The base layer is typically a thin merino, thin pants, thin shirt.
Everything else packed in, typically including heavy wool sweater that goes on next, then a Gore-tex shell (over-pants & top), other layers/insulation dependent upon weather.

One of my "tricks" is to pack a 2x over-sized pair of Gore-tex shell pants. They are easy to get on over boots, and due to their being way over-sized, trap a lot of air for lightweight insulation. I don't walk in them, just wear while on stand.

My feet is what gets me. Still haven't found out how to keep them warm in a stand.
The solution is to pack in boot blankets.
If it's very cold, I place handwarmers inside the boot blankets.

Get way too big ones, as you're not walking in them.
Larger ones are easier to quickly get on & off,
plus more air trapping & room for handwarmers.

Also, wear merino socks 😃

The solution is to pack in boot blankets.
If it's very cold, I place handwarmers inside the boot blankets.

Get way too big ones, as you're not walking in them.
Larger ones are easier to quickly get on & off,
plus more air trapping & room for handwarmers.

Also, wear merino socks 😃
The key to boot blankets is they provide a barrier between your boot and a metal platform (heat sink).

Also loosen your boots once you get where you're going for better circulation

One thing that has stepped up my warmth is wearing the heaviest merino wool base layer. Several years ago i came across insulated camo pants from sportsman guide. The ones that have black quilted insulation forgot the name for the insulation. Not the fleece lined. I have both while the fleece lined is warm. It's not as warm as the other ones. I put them over the heavy merino wooI thermals. haven't used my bibs since. The jacket I use that is the warmest is a camo carhartt that has the cotton duck material like there bibs. I also have a long sleeve camo shirt over the thermals. Then a camo hooded sweat shirt then the jacket. My feet is what gets me. Still haven't found out how to keep them warm in a stand. On the ground my feet are fine.
Last year while in Colorado elk hunting, I started wearing a short polyester running sock as a liner, and putting a heavier (darn tough(ish)) over top of it. I continued throughout the year and never had a problem. Feet is something I normally struggle with.

I want to try some of the lacrosse grange boots with boot blankets as well. That seems enticing.

My feet is what gets me. Still haven't found out how to keep them warm in a stand. On the ground my feet are fine.
Mine freeze too and I've tried everything. Latest thing I'm doing is wearing a Darn Tough merino wool sock with uninsulated boots and then when in the stand out boot blankets over them. My feet sweat bad and that's the best thing I've done. I've read where some will put hand warmers inside the boot blankets but I've never done it.

As for merino wool I love it. The best cold weather I've tried is first lite. Have various others and as stated don't worry about camo or color if it's gonna be covered anyway.

Glad my feet don't get too cold. Wear uninsulated Danners 95% of the time with a silk liner and one pair of merino wool socks.

Been wearing Merino base layers & mid layers for a long time hunting out west, love it!

The past 4-5 years as I've aged my dang neck gets cold sitting in stand. I bought a Kuiu merino neck gater that probably weighs 3 oz and it does the trick for me, no matter how cold it gets.

BTW, never pay full price for any hunting clothes. Buy off season and save $. Right now many companies are running good sales before their new fall line comes out. Wing Supply is one of my faves.

Last edited:
Manmade fabrics just cannot beat wool!

Merino wool socks and underwear are wonderful. Also look into bison down socks and gloves.. They're great as well.
A pair of mid weight to heavy wool pants and an old fashioned wool checked shirt for the mid layer will go even further.

A nice wool vest, jacket, or sweater on the upper body for the colder mornings rounds out the ensemble.

When it's brutally cold a heavy wool Mackinac coat cannot be beaten.

Top this off wit a nice wool cap or hat and you're set!

None here have yet mentioned any of wool's other advantages. It is the quietest material there is. It makes no noise when you move. I once took a kid hunting that was sporting Carhartt clothing. It was so loud that it was a serious distraction. Even his slightest movements were noisy. I've called it Carhorn ever since.

Wool sheds water well and retains its ability to keep you warm even when soaked through. It dries fast too!

Wool is extremely durable. Therefore, it will last and last.

There are some downsides to wool. It is expensive but that is offset by its durability and can be avoided entirely by buying used off ebay or in thrift stores as others here have said.

Another slight con with wool is its weight. Compared to other fabrics it is more weighty.

As you have probable deduced, I am a total fan of wool garments. Although it can be found in camoflauge, I prefer solid colors of dark green, red, or gray. A Stormy Kromer in partridge plaid is my favorite hat but they offer it in a very wide variety of colors. Camo seems rather ridiculous when one takes the time to think about it.

Mine freeze too and I've tried everything. Latest thing I'm doing is wearing a Darn Tough merino wool sock with uninsulated boots and then when in the stand out boot blankets over them. My feet sweat bad and that's the best thing I've done. I've read where some will put hand warmers inside the boot blankets but I've never done it.

As for merino wool I love it. The best cold weather I've tried is first lite. Have various others and as stated don't worry about camo or color if it's gonna be covered anyway.
Have you tried spraying your feet with antiperspirant(not deodorant, different product all together)? It should help your feet to not sweat so much, so they should stay warmer since it is the moisture that's making them colder faster.

Exactly but ...I've found a better way to stay warm . Stay home ......if it's real cold I don't hunt . I'm at that point of my hunting career .
😂 Can't argue with that logic. Been more than one cold morning that I got up, and then decided, I would much rather be in the warm bed snuggled up with the wife.

Latest posts

Back