• Help Support TNDeer:

Merino Wool Thoughts

I don't like wearing ANYTHING too warm on my person for the walk in. I sweat at the drop of the hat and I get anxious walking in, that causes me to sweat too.Once I start sweating I have trouble keeping my temp under control plus I stink like a water Buffalo. When I leave the truck I want to feel a little cool/cold before I start.
Yup, I want to be cold when I start my walk in, so that by the time I get to the stand I'm just warming up to comfortable temperatures instead of hot and sweating. I carry my outer and warmest layers (MT050 bibs and parka) in or attached to my pack and don't put them on until I'm in the stand. Sometimes I'll even wait until I've cooled down in the stand until I put the outer layers on.

I swear by the merino wool now. I ended up paying the money and getting the First Lite stuff and I don't regret it. I watched a video test and merino is pretty much the only material that still holds heat after it gets wet. Not only that, it doesn't hold any type of odor which is great. Just make sure not to wash or dry it hot!

I've read they run big. I'm usually a 2xl so I'm torn on whether to try an XL or a 2xl since it will mainly be an over layer.
I bought one last year and really really wanted to like it. The fit was terrible. Sleeves were way to long and the rest of the garment was like a sack but strangely fit just right in the shoulders. I wear a lot of merino...it was scratchier than most merino too. I ended up selling it after wearing it 5X.

Latest posts

Back