• Help Support TNDeer:

Minn Kota’s Customer Service....NOT! IMO

7mm08

2 years AND less than 90 days ago I bought a MINN KOTA Ulterra 80 and mounted to my 2015 Scout 201. I worked 60-80 hr a week and recently retired. I bought the boat with 68 hours and it has about 110 on it now. Soooo this trolling motor has not seen a lot of use nor abuse. SaltAway every time it comes out of salt. I had not used the trolling motor since last November.

I had plans to go to Beaufort SC fishing this weekend BUT now the Ulterra won't deploy. Cancelled the trip. Motor to the certified MK dealer in the area. Was told the TRIM MODULE is broken......$500. Minn Kota says basically bend over and pay the full amount. I didn't expect it for free but no break on the price on a not used since November ( would have fit into the warranty) or even less than 90 days out?

I even explained I had bought another Riptide ( not Ulterra) , a Talon, and two charging banks over the years for my two boats. Their response? " insert crickets chirping".

Where is customer service, brand loyalty these days even for crap like this made in China? BTW. I SPENT three phone calls to tech support yesterday at over 20 min each with no answer , but today I hit the button for " buy parts" and within 5 seconds someone picked up the phone!

2015 201 Bay Scout
150 Yamaha

seems to be the norm for most companies these days. wait until they all go to customer service bots.

one would think, as smart as chinese people are supposed to be, looks like they could build something that lasts for more than a year or two without breaking.

I feel your pain. I bought a new Maxxum about a month ago. Took the old one off my boat and put the new one on. With the boat sitting in my garage I pushed the power button on the foot control to make sure everything worked. Noticed there was a clicking/ticking noise coming from the motor as soon as I pushed the button. Took the prop back off to make sure it wasn't rubbing anywhere. Still made the noise. So I put the prop back on and noticed if you pushed the prop in and got the prop shaft in play all the way back it would make the noise. But if you pulled the prop and got the end play outward it would make the noise. Contacted Minnkota by email and phone and still haven't got an answer on what needs to be done. Just get the run around. My last Minnkota was junk started leaking where the composite shaft goes into motor housing within the first year. Rebuilt it twice and got the leak stopped. Went out again so I bought a new one.

When I started looking into an ulterra, that was mentioned on more than one forum as a frequent problem. I think MInnkota actually sells a little tool kit that allows you to bypass something to get it back in the boat so you can get back to the ramp with your big motor. It is hard to run with a trolling motor deployed.

I LOVE the concept, but I think the reliability factor would make me go in another direction if I was outfitting a new rig.

Sorry it messed up your trip to SC.

Mine is mounted on a block and easily removed once the lock is removed so no problem if it stuck deployed .

I bought the Ulterra because:

A... because I saw my buddy ( Dean)slip and do a header off the bow of his boat three years ago into three ft of water pulling up his trolling motor. How he didn't get a cervical fracture I'll never know.

B. I fish by myself on the lake a lot and I can self launch easily. Boat off, deploy trolling motor, SPOT LOCK all with arm out the window, park trailer, and Bluetooth the boat to the dock.

C. One less step on an artificial knee up to the bow to mess with the trolling motor.

If I ever get my dream boat I probably will have one so I can go directly from the steering console up onto the poling platform and go from there without ever having to go to the bow. Hope they will cut you some slack on the $$ and it is quickly fixed.

Sorry to hear that man.

Made me remember, my buddy Ken had the same problem with his.
Luckily his was still under warrenty.

scn":9vescvvq said:
If I ever get my dream boat I probably will have one so I can go directly from the steering console up onto the poling platform and go from there without ever having to go to the bow. Hope they will cut you some slack on the $$ and it is quickly fixed.

It's not the money. To me it's just highlights no one cares that they have a problem and they hide behind a warranty. I bet the SAME part will replace the old part without an upgrade.

Hate to hear that. I detest a Motorguide and always have preferred Minn Kotas but that does leave a bad taste in your mouth. We have a 55 pound Maxxum on our meat hunting boat that has a 5-speed selector switch. About 3 speeds goes out on it in about every 50 hours of use and I have to change that switch out. Minor $15 part and a pretty simple swap but they know those switches have issues when you talk to them and they have never made their supplier up the quality of them. Don't ever buy one with a 5 speed switch if you can help it.....get one with a variable percentage speed and save you a lot of trouble as those are very reliable.

Back