• Help Support TNDeer:

mobile tree stand

Anyone have any lightweight-ish/mobile tree stand recommendations? Or opinions about lightweight hang-ons vs saddles? I weigh about 250 lbs. Mostly hunt on public, so would like to move frequently and will need to carry what I will be using.

Thanks in advance.

JT

Last edited:
Anyone have any lightweight-ish/mobile tree stand recommendations? Or opinions about lightweight hang-ons vs saddles? I weigh about 250 lbs. Mostly hunt no public, so would like to move frequently and will need to carry what I will be using.

Thanks in advance.

JT
I have a Novix Echo. Pretty light but roomy in the tree. Easy to set up.

A saddle set up is the single best piece of hunting gear ive purchased. Carrying my Summit climber all over public land sucked.
A saddle set up is the single best piece of hunting gear ive purchased. Carrying my Summit climber all over public land sucked.
Thats what I have now....a Summit Viper. Its comfy, but it is unrealistic that I clunk it all over the place if I don't like where I am.

If you have the time and a few spare parts lying around, the Millennium Microlite can be made into a not only light but comfortable option. I used Lone Wolf Versa buttons and a v bracket from an old set of sticks to do mine. Pair it with a set of XOP sticks and it's quick and quiet. Plus it all packs well. Grant it, I rarely use a stand unless i am on a hunt such as a draw, because i just cant.
1000003525.webp

Thats what I have now....a Summit Viper. Its comfy, but it is unrealistic that I clunk it all over the place if I don't like where I am.
Thats the exact one I had. I do get up with climbing sticks. I went with all Tethr'd stuff. I bought the 4 set of the Tethr'd skeletor sticks, Tethr'd Phantom Saddle, and the Predator platform

Tell more about it. My back is jacked up too.
Two hours was max in any kind of stand, hunting out of a cruzer xc saddle i can hang from daylight to dark no problems. YouTube is a wealth if info on the saddles and one sticking and rappelling, i thought there was no way i could do it with two rods 9 screws and a cage in my back but ive had zero problems and its made deer hunting enjoyable again for me. Go watch staggs in the wild on YouTube he has a bunch if great videos on it

Man you can go broke quick trying all the different mobile methods. I've not tried many because of that reason, so I stick with old tried & true. I'm 6'2 x 240lbs and use an old Lone Wolf Alpha with four sticks, and an aluminum Summit Viper climber. Between the two I can hunt pretty much anywhere on a whim. I wouldn't dare argue there aren't better options because I'm sure there probably are, but I'm not going to remortgage my house to find it. My stuff is old from a time when there weren't many options yet and it's still pretty darn good so surely at this point there ought to be lots of great options on the market. I don't know if you could go wrong.

I moved my stand every day for almost a week, sometimes twice per day as I closed in on this buck feeding on white oak acorns. When I finally got on him I was hanging about 12ft up in a tree that was barely big enough for the straps to tighten, but it was a really bushy hickory so it gave my 6'2 x 240lb self some cover. I saw countless deer very close to me and never got busted once.

1726589133259.webp

Bad lower back here too. Cruzr XC, api huntin sticks w a one step aider, and trophy line onyx platform. Been pleased with how everything packs in my XOP Stryker backpack too. One thing I really like as well, not to continue to drop brands but it is what it is, is the tethrd hys strap.

Lone Wolf stand and 3 sticks is my preferred method. I have a Novix HELO that I have used one time and I did not like it. The platform is to narrow for my liking.
The Lone Wolf 1.0 is outstanding, the right amount of platform space and works for me. I am 5'11" 205.
The Lone Wolf alpha is just as good( older model ), just heavier.
BTW...I will sell this Novix Helo and sticks if anyone is interested.

Summit Viper aluminum gets my vote. It's all I used hunting public land. In my case I was very familiar with every spot I hunted and actually new specific trees I would go to. If that's not your case and you are wandering around you can make an incredible amount of noise carrying that stand. Easy to climb, safe and comfortable. Another aspect, if I was leaving midday and coming back in a day or so I would leave the stand where it was. I might take it off the tree hide it in a blowdown and brush it over. If I hunted till dark I would just leave it on the tree and come back the next morning. I've noticed there is a summit Viper Steel marketed now. I'm not sure how different that one is certainly must be heavier.

Summit Viper if you know there are straight trees in the area. Novix Echo and 4 sticks if there might be trees in the area that arent straight or have branches on the way up.

FYI, there is a learning curve and wealth of information on You Tube how to use a mobile set up like the Novix Echo. I recommend finding a place you can practice and develop a routine that is smooth and quiet.

I've tried to like the saddle thing, in theory it's good, safe, relatively light, go up most any tree, fairly comfortable etc. Maybe if I was younger I'd be all about it but now it's too many parts, too many steps, too much to do, too complicated...and in the dark? forget it.

I can walk up to a tree with my summit open shot and there are 3 steps, the climber, the base and the safety line and up I go. If there is a limb a folding saw takes care of it most times.

I might still try the saddle on some afternoon hunts when I've got more time and can see what I'm doing. It's defiantly the safest way to hunt from a tree and it can get you in a tree in places no other stand type would work, if I was 30 years younger I'd take the time to work out a system and use it full time but I don't have a time machine to make that happen.

If you have the time and a few spare parts lying around, the Millennium Microlite can be made into a not only light but comfortable option. I used Lone Wolf Versa buttons and a v bracket from an old set of sticks to do mine. Pair it with a set of XOP sticks and it's quick and quiet. Plus it all packs well. Grant it, I rarely use a stand unless i am on a hunt such as a draw, because i just cant.View attachment 243404
I have that m7 with hawk heliums trying to save weight. But it honestly weighs just as much or more than my summit viper sd the aluminum one only weighs 19lbs. And with a military kidney belt and shoulder straps feel almost weightless. Maybe I need some different sticks to lighten things up with my m7.

I've been experimenting with a JX3 Hybrid for the past few weeks and so far I'm super impressed with the quality and comfort of this system. I also just ordered an XOP mutant saddle to try a hybrid style of saddle hunting. The XOP was $120 for the saddle, bridge, tether and linesman rope, not a bad price for everything you need to get up in a tree except for a climbing method. I'm gonna attempt to use it with existing ladder stands and hang ons that have pre-set sticks but that are less than comfortable. Time will tell if it's a waste of time or a good idea!

Latest posts

Back