• Help Support TNDeer:

Monster Blue Cat on Tiny Tackle

rsimms

Dakota Casteel works at my former place of employment, NewsChannel 9. He's training to get better at news photography, so I recruited him to shoot some promotional video for Scenic City Fishing Charters.

We had a little scripted promotional video all set up to produce. Unfortunately (or fortunately) a MONSTER blue cat rewrote our script.I was demonstrating my "light tackle" technique... standard light action spinning rod, 10 lb. test main line with a 20 lb. shock leader. I was hoping for a solid 10 or 15 pounder to provide some good video. But lo and behold, the first bite we got was a Big Boy!

I hooked him, but after a while I handed off the rod to Dakota. There were lots of very hairy moments, and plenty of opportunities to lose this fish. Dakota has caught some big cats fishing with one of my partners, but this was his first ever big blue on "light tackle," and in heavy current. He has new found respect for these big beasts, and the technical aspect of fighting VERY big fish on tiny tackle.

On top of it all, I purposefully left my big fish net in the truck so it wouldn't be in our way filming. We had to land this fish old school, by hand. Which meant Dakota had to fight him all the way to the finish. I had the fish in hand twice, but couldn't hang on. But the third time was a charm. I managed to get the grippers around his big fat lip and my old worn out body dragged him into the boat. He tugged the scales to 59 lbs. (that's a 60-pounder in "guide" weight )

Since we were out to shoot video anyway, we shot a lot of the battle. WATCH IT HERE, and remember, life is good and gettin' better every day.

dakota_59_CFF.jpg

dakota_59_me_CFF.jpg

diamond hunter":kzeelydw said:
That is awesome,do you mind me asking what you weigh the fish with?I have trouble finding the right scales

Go to Walmart, in the luggage section. They sell handheld luggage scales (spring scales, not digital) that weigh up to 80 pounds. And they're VERY inexpensive... about $8 I think.

I despise digital scales. (1) They're expensive! (2) The ones I've tried are unreliable and/or difficult to use, or the batteries will always be dead when you really need them. We have come to heavily rely (pun intended) on our Walmart luggage scales. I usually keep a pair on-board. Even if they break or get lost, they're so inexpensive it's no big deal to replace them.

They're not reliable for small fish, but they're great when you have those Big Boys.

If you don't have scales, you can also use a formula that will very reliably calculate weights. I have never known the formula to be more than 5% off one way or the other, usually MUCH less.

Length x Girth X Girth / (divided by) 800 = Weight

This fish was 47 inches long with a 31.5 inch girth. The formula shows it would weigh 58.2. The scale read 59.

A very nice accidental catch! Next time I go trout fishin I'm only gonna try to catch little ones and purposely leave the net in the truck.

A fellow caught a 78 lber on a 7.5 foot light action rod and 6 lb line about a month ago on Douglas. Said they followed it for about 4 hours with the trolling motor. Anything over 20 on light line takes a lot of skill and even more luck.

Latest posts

Back