• Help Support TNDeer:

MS alligator season

megalomaniac

Didn't draw a tag again this year, but some locals had some luck this weekend...

14ft, 800lbs, close to the state record

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240902_141509_Facebook.webp
    Screenshot_20240902_141509_Facebook.webp
    268.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot_20240902_141520_Facebook.webp
    Screenshot_20240902_141520_Facebook.webp
    169.9 KB · Views: 1
Man! I was after one like that for 10 years in FL.

I would draw a tag every other year usually and I hooked him every time I had a tag.

He was too strong and too wise.

There was an old man that lived in the creek where this gator lived and he told me that he had watched it daily since he was a kid. The man was in his 70s.

How in the world would you process something like that? I assume most of the meat would be along the back and in the tail?
Many folks in central MS just pay for processing.

When I eventually draw a tag, and if I get one, I'm just going to wing the processing myself. Will start with the less than 6ft gator to practice on before doing the one over 6ft (tag allows you to kill 2 gators, 1 under 6ft and another over 6ft)

Not planning on saving the hide, and I can handle skull cleaning and preservation myself

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240903_130354_Facebook.webp
    Screenshot_20240903_130354_Facebook.webp
    67 KB · Views: 1
Many folks in central MS just pay for processing.

When I eventually draw a tag, and if I get one, I'm just going to wing the processing myself. Will start with the less than 6ft gator to practice on before doing the one over 6ft (tag allows you to kill 2 gators, 1 under 6ft and another over 6ft)

Not planning on saving the hide, and I can handle skull cleaning and preservation myself
I always skinned them myself.

A couple tricks that make the job way easier…

Get a table so you can stand comfortably when working on the gator. It's too long of a job to do on your knees or a tailgate.

Cut a small hole in each leg just above the paw. Take an air compressor and insert it into the hole and it will blow up like a balloon separating the skin from the meat. The legs are the best part(dark meat).

Get a hooked blade for your box cutter. Use that to run down the back on the outer edge of the scutes. After making two cuts, one down each side, the rest of the job can be done with the same knife you use to skin a deer.

Once the skin is off, it's a simple job. You'll want to probably watch a video on how to get the jowls, and the jelly roll(inner loins).

Latest posts

Back