• Help Support TNDeer:

Multi species bait

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Fished Friday afternoon with a buddy.
We had a pretty good trip, ended up with 6 keeper crappie and 1 keeper bream.
I was using a Berkley gulp 1" minnow on a trout magnet jighead with 2# sos line.

I caught crappie, bream, bass and chain pickerel on it.
I guess everything eats minnows lol

Over the years I've caught crappie, bream, large mouth bass, smallmouth bass, catfish, spotted gar, grennel, drum, stripped bass, white bass, sauger and a water moccasin on an 1/8oz lead head crappie jig and some color plastic skirt.

One time in Morgan Creek on the TN River I caught a nice largemouth bass that had a 10 inch catfish stuck in his gullet. He had swallowed it tail first and the fins had stuck in either side of its throat. When I went to pull the hook out of its mouth a catfish was staring back at me. LoL

Over the years I've caught crappie, bream, large mouth bass, smallmouth bass, catfish, spotted gar, grennel, drum, stripped bass, white bass, sauger and a water moccasin on an 1/8oz lead head crappie jig and some color plastic skirt.

One time in Morgan Creek on the TN River I caught a nice largemouth bass that had a 10 inch catfish stuck in his gullet. He had swallowed it tail first and the fins had stuck in either side of its throat. When I went to pull the hook out of its mouth a catfish was staring back at me. LoL
better than a cottonmouth staring back at you. the first time i had seen an lmb hit a snake was year before last.

Fished Friday afternoon with a buddy.
We had a pretty good trip, ended up with 6 keeper crappie and 1 keeper bream.
I was using a Berkley gulp 1" minnow on a trout magnet jighead with 2# sos line.

I caught crappie, bream, bass and chain pickerel on it.
I guess everything eats minnows lol
What color? Interesting that you used a trout magnet head with it. How'd you fish it: did you swim it with a retrieve, let it drift, etc?

I don't normally fish that light of a rig, but I might try this.

Last edited:
I usually use a 2" curly tail grub with a 1/16 oz jig head. Colors vary but I mostly use either white, silver or gray. I use 4# PLine florocarbon coated line, which it my trout setup. I've caught bass, crappie, bream, and trout with them.

I added up how many species I've caught with a white 2" Berkley Power grub and got to 21. When the stripe are running in the spring, that's the only lure I use.

What color? Interesting that you used a trout magnet head with it. How'd you fish it: did you swim it with a retrieve, let it drift, etc?
I use smelt color, seems to work better than anything else I have tried.
This time of the year, relatively cold water, just a slow steady retrieve.
Warmer weather I reel, twitch, etc.
They can't stand it.

I got the trout magnet head idea from watching kayak catfish.
I like the 1/64th & 1/32nd ounce.

I use smelt color, seems to work better than anything else I have tried.
This time of the year, relatively cold water, just a slow steady retrieve.
Warmer weather I reel, twitch, etc.
They can't stand it.

I got the trout magnet head idea from watching kayak catfish.
I like the 1/64th & 1/32nd ounce.
I've used 1/32 oz jig heads. But that light weight line twists my line. How do you remedy this?

I've used 1/32 oz jig heads. But that light weight line twists my line. How do you remedy this?
Depending on which rod I am using I either use 2# SOS line, on a 9' very light action rod.
On my other bream rod(s) I use Seagar Red Label 6# test.
Don't have much trouble with line twist.

Back