• Help Support TNDeer:

Muzzleloader powders I've used. Good and bad.

ROVERBOY

Just wondered if anybody has tried different powders, like I have over the years. I started out with Pyrodex RS, because everyone said, "don't use black, you don't want that dirty stuff". Ok, so I used Crapodex. Was not impressed at all. Hangfires, drew moisture and just crap. I next used Goex Ffg. Worked great, and lasts pretty much forever. If it gets wet just dry it. Pyrodex if it gets wet, will never be any good even after it dries out. I even tried a crappy powder called Black Canyon. Oh man. What a waste of money and time. Blackhorn 209 is just too damn expensive. Period.

Pyrodex performed well for me with my old investarms carbine and even with my TC black diamond. I switched to triple 7 at some point, then got an accura. Only used triple 7 in the accura, bought my wife an accura mr, and use triple 7 in it as well. I bought some blackhorn back when it was reasonable and never tried it.

Used Pyrodex in years past. Use Triple 7 now. Pleased with performance. But once this jug runs out Ill likely try Blackhorn 209. Yes its expensive but per shot over the long run it isnt terrible because I dont shoot that often. Few shots to confirm zero annually then to hunt...so a jug will last years.

Shot Pyrodex for years in powder form and then pellets. Made the switch to Blackhorn several years ago. It is expensive but works great. I guess it's equivalent to shooting tss for turkey. I believe the only thing that could be better would be to go smokeless.

Used Pyrodex in years past. Use Triple 7 now. Pleased with performance. But once this jug runs out Ill likely try Blackhorn 209. Yes its expensive but per shot over the long run it isnt terrible because I dont shoot that often. Few shots to confirm zero annually then to hunt...so a jug will last years.
Right- in the big picture, it's not much money at all to shoot 5-10 shots of BH 209.
I'd imagine it would only be $15 or so?

I don't intend to hijack. The BH209 is the best I've used. I swapped to it after a misfire with Pyrodex pellets cost me a really nice 10pt buck.

The best all around that l've used has to be Triple 7. But, Goex black was pretty good too. It always fired and cleaned up just fine. I always heard it was a fluffy kitten to clean. But, I didn't see that.

Started with the old nasty pyrodex, used triple 7 for years, switched to bh209 when first came out and haven't looked back! I have enough bought at walmart closeout and small mom n pop shops at ridiculously low prices to last a lifetime!!

Latest posts

Back