• Help Support TNDeer:

Food Plots My BEST food plot this year

megalomaniac

Here she is in all her glory!

Radishes and turnips survived, deer ate and drought killed all the rye and wheat. Drought killed the clover. Drilled end of Sept in bone dry soil, got .5in rain the next day, 4in 2w later from Helene. None since.

Deer will decimate the radishes mid Nov, and it will be bare dirt by Dec.

This year sucks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241023_142202_Messages.webp
    Screenshot_20241023_142202_Messages.webp
    331.6 KB · Views: 1
Have some better and have some worse. Established clover is still looking okay. Guess it's getting enough moisture from the dew. Part of annuals got whacked by worms & drought. No rain since Helene for us either.

Intend on overseeding rye if we get rain next month.

They look a lot better than mine. I had the best plots ever after getting the rain from the two hurricanes, then the army worms took them all out. I disked everything up two weekends ago, and now I have the wheat and winter rye ready to go…just waiting on rain. With no rain in sight, it doesn't look like I'm going to have much at all this year.

I'm just glad I didn't spread fertilizer before the army worms hit, because I may not waste my money on it this year if I don't get the plots planted within the next few weeks.

I've got the water when noone around does... I'll kill the deer.

What I'm most pissed off about is the fact I've got way too much bare dirt which is going to grow weeds and really reduce the quality of my next summers plots.

$1800 in seed so far... and I'm probably going to throw a hail mary with broadcasting rye if we get a rain beginning of November. Otherwise... F' it.

Just so frustrating with the amount of time and money we spend on land management to have our efforts wasted on what seems like an almost annual basis. I'm in the same situation as most on here with a lot of effort spent to put in summer and fall plots, and they probably won't make it through November if I'm lucky. Very lucky on my Illinois farm to have large crop fields on the neighboring farms, but my TN farms aren't that fortunate. With very few neighbors putting in the effort that I am, my plots don't stand a chance with the heavy deer pressure.
But as tough as it can be, I'll do it all again next year and hope for the best. Driving a tractor is one of the best stress relievers I have. 👍

Just so frustrating with the amount of time and money we spend on land management to have our efforts wasted on what seems like an almost annual basis. I'm in the same situation as most on here with a lot of effort spent to put in summer and fall plots, and they probably won't make it through November if I'm lucky. Very lucky on my Illinois farm to have large crop fields on the neighboring farms, but my TN farms aren't that fortunate. With very few neighbors putting in the effort that I am, my plots don't stand a chance with the heavy deer pressure.
But as tough as it can be, I'll do it all again next year and hope for the best. Driving a tractor is one of the best stress relievers I have. 👍
I will give you that!

I was pleasantly surprised with my plots today. On the shady sides, they are actually doing much better than expected. I suspect the reason why is the insane amount of rain we got during Francine and Helene. At my place, 12.6" of rain in two weeks and all of it sank right into the soil. Almost no run-off.

Attachments

• plots54.webp
    plots54.webp
    181.5 KB · Views: 1
  • plots55.webp
    plots55.webp
    179.1 KB · Views: 1
Thin, dry and pathetic is what my home plot is. Seems to be something every year.

I will say the buffalo method plot at my lease is looking good. It took all of an hour to broadcast then bush hog. Yet it is pretty and green.

Latest posts

Back