• Help Support TNDeer:

N. Georgia Deer

PickettSFHunter

Unfortunately my Georgia barrier island quota hunt was canceled at the last minute due to a dock gangway collapse resulting in fatalities. Rather than stay home, our normal island hunting group started scrambling for a back up plan with just one night to prepare. What we came up with was a North Georgia WMA sign in hunt that is probably the lowest odds hunt around but it was open so that's what we did 😂 The data was 1-3 deer checked in on these 5 day hunts over the years with 75-100 hunters signing in typically so I knew it would Be tough and decided I would shoot any buck I saw given it was buck only. After seeing the WMA had zero habitat diversity, just all mature timber, my strategy was to focus around private land with habitat diversity hoping deer would come up to the WMA for acorns. The first morning of the hunt, my plan was to still hunt 3 miles down a ridge and then drop down from 3700 ft elevation to 2600 ft just above private land border. I saw zero deer sign for 3 miles but once I dropped into the vicinity of private land, I started seeing trails, then a fresh scrape. It was 10 AM by this time but I started attaching my lone wolf hand climber to a tree. While still on the ground, I heard something and looked and saw a little buck! I honestly didn't think I would see a deer on the trip but there it was. I shot him at about 120 yards, he ran toward me and flopped over and that was that. I had everything I needed to quarter/pack the deer out but also knew there was private road just below me bordering the WMA. I made the decision to walk to their private gate and use their call box and just ask if I could go in and pick the deer up. It ended up being an extremely nice guy that was also a hunter and just couldn't believe I was in there and he graciously allowed me to drive in and get the deer! It was a easy straight down the mountain drag. I ended up hunting that area another day and saw several does but no more bucks. None of the other 3 hunters in camp saw any deer. I recognize that most hunters would turn their nose at this deer and I certainly wouldn't shoot it at home but I certainly will
under those circumstances 😂 Little 6 point , 85 pounds dressed. As a plus I also got to see/pass through some areas I've always wanted to see, Ducktown and Copper Hill in Polk County, TN.
IMG_5306.webp

What you just did killing that "little" buck on public land is likely much harder than what the majority of hunters will ever attempt or accomplish. You made a plan on a low density area and it worked, so that's a huge accomplishment that no inches of antler can make up for. It was a great experience and good meat. Kudos to you

Last edited:
What you just did killing that "little" buck on public land is likely much harder than what the majority of hunters will ever attempt or accomplish. You made a plan on a low density area and it worked, so that's a huge accomplishment that no inches of antler can make up for. It was a great experience and good meat. Kudos to you
This right here! I know the area he was at. Killing any mountain buck is a huge accomplishment! Congrats!

Latest posts

Back