• Help Support TNDeer:

Need a New Fish Finder

Mike Belt

Without breaking the bank. I really don't want to go over $400-$500. Going on a 175 Tracker with a 75 hp Merc. I was thinking about the Garmin with a 7" screen. I think they come with the mounting bracket, transducer, and everything needed???? I like the GPS capability. I think $100 separates the downview versus the side and downview. Any tips?

Partial to any brand? Or is the dollar amount the deciding factor?

Personally I am a Humminbird guy, not really because they are better than the others but I have all my stuff linked together and everything communicates. IMO HB is easier to use and navigate but I have friends who utilize both Lowrance and Humminbird.

It mainly boils down to how you plan on using it and what type of fishing you are wanting it for.
As you mentioned the imaging units DO cost more but you get so much more for your money once you learn how to use them.

The best advice I can give you, if you are wanting a SI unit and you have a budget......save what you have until you can put more with and go with as big a screen as you can....when you are scanning and only have a 7" screen you are very limited as to the detail you can see unless you pull your scan width way in.

You can pick the core HB units (8xx,9xx and even 11xx) up with low hours on them at a very reasonable price now that everyone is going to the Helix Mega lineup in the 9"-10" range. You can pick up a Helix 9-10 gen 1 at a great price also, the biggest deal with those is if you go below the 10 they come standard with the standard SI transducer instead of the HDSI transducer UNLESS the original purchaser did the upgrade before opening the package.

I am not to familiar with Lowrance or Garmin but I'm sure others who are will give you some advice on them.

Feel free to shoot me a message if I can help ya or you have any more questions.
I'm currently running a Helix 10 Mega at the console, Helix 10 DI and 859 DI (mapping) along with 360 imaging at the bow.

i bought the 7sv last summer while on vacation and have yet to get it installed, but i am taking a week off next week and get the dang holes drilled by Tracker techs and mount the transducer board so i can install the transducer.(i aint paying them 250 bucks for a complete install).

anyhoo, when i do i will post up some pics as Ruger was interested too.

I'm a lowrance man myself,got a fortune in my electronics.With your budget garmin or humminbird would probally be a better unit gor your budget.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

X-Tennessean":3ac5epb5 said:
Partial to any brand? Or is the dollar amount the deciding factor?

Personally I am a Humminbird guy, not really because they are better than the others but I have all my stuff linked together and everything communicates. IMO HB is easier to use and navigate but I have friends who utilize both Lowrance and Humminbird.

It mainly boils down to how you plan on using it and what type of fishing you are wanting it for.
As you mentioned the imaging units DO cost more but you get so much more for your money once you learn how to use them.

The best advice I can give you, if you are wanting a SI unit and you have a budget......save what you have until you can put more with and go with as big a screen as you can....when you are scanning and only have a 7" screen you are very limited as to the detail you can see unless you pull your scan width way in.

You can pick the core HB units (8xx,9xx and even 11xx) up with low hours on them at a very reasonable price now that everyone is going to the Helix Mega lineup in the 9"-10" range. You can pick up a Helix 9-10 gen 1 at a great price also, the biggest deal with those is if you go below the 10 they come standard with the standard SI transducer instead of the HDSI transducer UNLESS the original purchaser did the upgrade before opening the package.

I am not to familiar with Lowrance or Garmin but I'm sure others who are will give you some advice on them.

Feel free to shoot me a message if I can help ya or you have any more questions.
I'm currently running a Helix 10 Mega at the console, Helix 10 DI and 859 DI (mapping) along with 360 imaging at the bow.
You are better pulling your range in when scanning even when using a big screen.90% of the time I run 60 ft a side[emoji12]

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

You can buy a new Hook 7 Lowrance for under $400. It has down imagining, GPS mapping, Chirp sonar and is super easy to use.

Thanks guys. Keep the suggestions coming.

Lol...a 7" screen is a huge-ge-ge-ge improvement over my former 2.5" X 3" screen. I'm not necessarily partial to any brand as long as it does what it's supposed to. I'm also not locked into any dollar amount but I'm not a big fisherman anymore and just need a little help when I do go so I can't see spending big bucks. I really don't do much bass fishing on big water any more and usually I'm after crappie, bream, and catfish.

I got a Helix 7 Chirp SI DI GPS back in February and really like it. It's a little more than your budget though. Lots of guys on bass Boat central are swapping from Lowrance to the new Humminbirds and there's a ton of used Lowrance for sale over there.

Latest posts

Back