• Help Support TNDeer:

Need help on a depth/fishfinder

Dbllunger

My ancient Humminbird finally crapped out on me and I need a new unit. I have $650 in Basspro giftcards from Christmas that I can use so would like to keep it in that range. I'm not really a bass fisherman but love to troll bandits for crappie in the summer and that will be it's primary use. So much has changed since I got the basic unit I have used for the last 7 or so years that I don't really know what units may be good or bad. I would love some suggestions and recomendations from you guys that know whats what. Bass pro has the Humminbird HELIX 7 CHIRP MEGA SI GPS G3 Fishfinder/Chartplotter on sale for $650 and I have looked at that but really don't know. Any help welcome. Thanks guys.

WTM is extremely knowledgable in this area and helped me a bunch. I'm sure he'll chime in with excellent advice. My question is do you want/need side imaging?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Spurhunter":22fn5iqg said:
WTM is extremely knowledgable in this area and helped me a bunch. I'm sure he'll chime in with excellent advice. My question is do you want/need side imaging?

I can definitely see some applications as far as trolling goes with the side imaging but I suppose it isn't a requirement. My old unit showed a bottom image, temp and speed on a small 5 inch lcd non color screen so pretty much anything is an upgrade and should make me more efficient in covering water.

I picked up my Garmin Echomap Plus 93sv for $599 on sale. At the time Bass Pro had them $400 off. They run this sale occasionally. I would definitely keep an eye out for that sale to reoccur if you aren't in a big hurry.

The Garmin is nice and simple to use...The Lowrance Hook2 Tripleshot with all the bells n whistles isn't bad either. The basic Hook 7 is trash

for $650 and limited to bass pro, that helix is gonna be the best buy. some folks have been having depth reading problems with the newer lowrance hook2 series. the only garmin in that price range is gonna be the striker 9sv plus for $550, but it doesnt include any lake maps, only a gps plotter and software that allows you to make your own maps.

garmin just did a product refresh so it may be a while before you see any price drops. before Livescope those discounted prices would last almost a year and the various vendors, but since Livescope those discounted units didnt last 2 months because everybody and their momma has been buying them up.

that helix unit has a free basemap you can download and update based off of Lakemaster, it wont have the 1' contours but its accurate as far as i can tell. that unit is also not a network unit but you can copy waypoints to an sd and pop it in the other unit and transfer in about 2 minutes, if you add another unit later.

WTM":2jrlef7n said:
garmin just did a product refresh so it may be a while before you see any price drops. before Livescope those discounted prices would last almost a year and the various vendors, but since Livescope those discounted units didnt last 2 months because everybody and their momma has been buying them up.

Makes sense. I am fortunate to have purchased mine during the sale.

Back