• Help Support TNDeer:

need input on garmin sidevu xducer mounting

WTM

ok so, tracker marine charges 200 bucks to mount a new sonar unit so i was thinking on doing it myself, and i really dont have time to haul it to nashville twice. my wife bought me a new boat a couple of years ago and it came with a lowrance elite 4x. not a bad little unit, holds bottom at top speed at about 45mph. last summer she bought me a garmin 7sv and that is what i need input on. im thinking of keeping the 4x for high speed depth reading and using the 7sv for strictly trolling and scanning, max speed up to maybe 5mph or so. so this is a 175 tracker pro v and has a step transom.

so my question is where would the best place to mount the xducer for a good scan, protection from stumps and crappie stickups, etc.

here is a pick of the factory xducer install, seems correct for a high speed skimmer install. this is on the port side.

IMG_0362_zpsfkbkbdtb.jpg
[/URL]

im thinking i would mount it on the starboard side using a mounting board above the step transom(just above where those racing stripes) and to the right maybe an inch or so of the far right, mesh covered, live well inlet. or would it be better closer to the center of the stern but not inline with the prop. thanks for any input.

IMG_0365_zpsjrnb6fws.jpg
[/URL]

WTM":2mph55qz said:
ok so, tracker marine charges 200 bucks to mount a new sonar unit so i was thinking on doing it myself, and i really dont have time to haul it to nashville twice. my wife bought me a new boat a couple of years ago and it came with a lowrance elite 4x. not a bad little unit, holds bottom at top speed at about 45mph. last summer she bought me a garmin 7sv and that is what i need input on. im thinking of keeping the 4x for high speed depth reading and using the 7sv for strictly trolling and scanning, max speed up to maybe 5mph or so. so this is a 175 tracker pro v and has a step transom.

so my question is where would the best place to mount the xducer for a good scan, protection from stumps and crappie stickups, etc.

here is a pick of the factory xducer install, seems correct for a high speed skimmer install. this is on the port side.

IMG_0362_zpsfkbkbdtb.jpg
[/URL]

im thinking i would mount it on the starboard side using a mounting board above the step transom(just above where those racing stripes) and to the right maybe an inch or so of the far right, mesh covered, live well inlet. or would it be better closer to the center of the stern but not inline with the prop. thanks for any input.

IMG_0365_zpsjrnb6fws.jpg
[/URL]
Nothing can be sticking out from the side or it will block your view ,or show up on one side of scan.Heres a pic of mine,if you need a board I think I have a new one you can have if you wanted it,would have to look and make sure I can find it.
d7d7905fafeaf59241fbeae00db573d3.jpg
012a311d733eaaaeed5e0daa772e124f.jpg

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

thanks bluball, almost pm'd you but i didnt know if you watched this site very much lol. i have a board but thanks anyway. your pics give me an idea but my transon step goes all the way across the stern except for a couple of inches to the far side of the boat. so if i mount it along the line of those racing stripes and keep it a couple of inches away from those live well inlets and the strake below, do you think it will be fine at 3 to 5 mph with the water moving across that step below it?

i would think that at that low speed, there wouldnt be that much water churn to affect the side image quality. what do you think?

I think it will be fine,if you look at mine in the pic you will see a black sharpie line above it.Thats where it's usually mounted,the other morning when I was leaving to go fishing I noticed it loose and dropped so I just leveled it and tightened it up,lol.I will raise it back up soon before I knock it off,lol.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Yeah you will be fine mounting it where you stated. At those low speeds you shouldn't have any interference.

When you get it setup play with the speed you scan at. My units like 6-7 mph for the clearest picture.

thanks chunk. i double checked it this afternoon and i think itll be good as far as clearance as this looks to be the shorter side image xducer version thats transom or tolling motor mountable.

Latest posts

Back