• Help Support TNDeer:

Need load advice

jlanecr500

Need load advice. I'm wanting to put the smokeless guns aside for a hunt or 2 with a sidelock this season. I have a Cabelas sporterized hawken. Manufactured by Investarms. I converted the nipple to a 209 conversion kit back earlier this year when #11 caps were nonexistent. The gun has a 21" barrel with a 1:24 twist so I plan on saboted 300gr projectiles. I can't find a manual on the gun but I've read that other hawken rifles by the same manuf call for approx 80gr of ffg black powder. I want to use Triple 7 ffg loose powder and it must be reduced. I'm thinking 70gr by volume. I'll convert it to weight for weighing future charges to be more accurate.

Thoughts ?

Last edited:
I have an investarms carbine, think the barrel length is 22 inch, but it may be 21. I had good accuracy with 85 grains pyrodex and 385 grain bullets. Triple 7 is supposed to be about 15 percent more powerful than pyrodex, so 70 grains should be fine.

I started with TC White Mountain Carbines. I killed probably 40+ deer with either 80 or 90gr by volume pyrodex and 777. For me with the short barrel I always used fffg or P which is the same load. With the fffg or P you will get the vast majority of powder burnt up in that short barrel. With ffg or RS you'll see a flame which I hate as it is wasted unburned powder flaming out past the barrel. 240-300gr bullets are perfect!!

Roundballing is addictive

Attachments

• IMG_1304.webp
    IMG_1304.webp
    112.4 KB · Views: 1
Back