• Help Support TNDeer:

Need Opinions On Best Trout Fishing Line

Back Home

I'm a spinning reel fisherman and fish the Caney quite a bit and am wanting to know what the best line to use is. Right now, I use a 4 pound test (Trilene mono I believe), and it kinks up something awful. Also, I caught and released my personal best this past Sunday, a 15.5 inch Rainbow, and it made me worry about losing an even bigger fish in the future due to the light line I'm using. I'm afraid to use a heavier line for fear of high visibility, but the smaller # test seems like a risky choice knowing I could lose a 20 inches. Someone suggest I use braid, but I've heard it's easier to see.

What do those who have some experience catching bigger trout here use?

I use 10 lb braid with a 6 lb fluorocarbon leader. Never had a problem. The braid will last for years. I used to use straight fluorocarbon but it would start to rot after couple months. Use about a 3 foot piece tied with an Albright knot. Search YouTube to learn to tie it

Some of the biggest trout I have caught on the Caney I have been spooled up with 50lb braid. The water is not nearly as clear as it used to be.

4 lb stren has always worked for me on everything from 4 inch brookies to 20 lb hybrids(NOT my 1st choice but i have landed most that i have hooked).

I've been fly rod only for my trout fishing for several years, but did re-spool a couple of spinning rods this spring to use in some high water fishing with hard baits. Someone on here that I consider very experienced advised me to use the Seaguar Invisi-x fluorocarbon line. I think for what you seem to be fishing that you could go on up to 6# test flouro and have less line visibility than the 4# mono. I've landed up to a 25# striper on 6# test in the past, so with a decent drag (and back reeling), a trophy size Caney trout should be very doable.

Yes, it is expensive compared to the mono.

Thanks for all of the help. I've been watching Youtube videos, and I do see a lot of guys using 18-20 inch leaders. I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.

Trilene mono should be good. But some spinning reels are finicky. Try this..... After filling your spool, open the bail and walk out all the line. Then reel it back on.

Sent from this smart thingamajig using tapatalk.

Latest posts

Back