• Help Support TNDeer:

Need some bass fishing help

noahtn

Hey guys, looking for some direction. I bought a boat at the end of last summer and my son & I have been getting into fishing pretty good. I live in Franklin and we fish Williamsport lakes, mostly Shellcracker Lake down there, but are ready to try some new waters. However, it's overwhelming knowing where to go. We've been out on Priest, but it's huge...we just don't know where to go. I would love to try some new spots. Don't mind pulling the boat 1-1/2 - 2 hours to somewhere like Tims Ford, or Old Hickory, but the thought of drIving that far to just guess at where to fish is just not something Im excited about. So, I'm open to some suggestions. I don't want your honey hole, and we release everything we keep, I just would like to get pointed in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

A lot of it is learning when and what to throw in any given situation. I love to fish with a jig or a shakey head but lots of other lures and techniques will catch fish. Read, read, and read. Good electronics will help too(I wish I had them). I fished a lot from the bank for years but picked up a boat about a month ago. I feel I'm relearning a lot now.

You might want to take a look at Normandy. It's smaller than Priest so takes less time to explore. I'm still trying to learn it. I haven't caught a lot of fish there but I have caught a few good ones. If you want some directions for how to get there and/or some spots to try just let me know.

Read up on Seasonal Bass Movements if you aren't familiar and get a good map and pick some locations that bass should be for this time of year and go give them a try. A lot of bass have spawned already and moving out to deeper water here.. however you can always catch some shallow early and late. river ledges are hot this time of year on any of the TVA chain of lakes. Deep cranks, Jigs, Swimbaits, Big worms, Spoons all work well. Early in the mornings and evenings they will move up on the flats chasing baitfish.

I prefer river systems over impoundments in the summer. I would try old hickory, cumberland river, and Ky Lake. Also, think about getting a guide for a day to help you learn a new body of water and the techniques used.

Thanks for the replies, TNCharlie, I shot you a PM about Normandy to get an idea of where to put in etc...I'm good with techniques etc...just locations is my big thing. For instance, I hear Old Hickory is great, but again it is hug so just knowing where to launch and fish would be a big start there.

Back