• Help Support TNDeer:

Never Give Up!!

Crow Terminator

Well I'll be honest with ya...I didn't think it was going to happen. But it did.

I only had to work a half day today and when I got off work, I wanted to go fishing. My wife says "we're supposed to get bad storms this afternoon...some time around 4 or so". So I said...well we have a few hours before then, lets go. So we went to Tellico where I am still obsessing and licking my wounds over losing the fish last week.

Long story short...I got my tail whipped by my wife. She was using a purple Magooster inline spinner, made by a local guy. I kept using my Power worms and mice tails...and she put an epic beat down on me. She had lost a decent fish in another spot and all afternoon long, she was having fish swirl on that lure and hit at it. I tied one on myself thinking they were just hitting at the blade...but that must not have been the case cause I didn't get a bite on the spinners I tried. When it started raining and thundering did she decide she was through fishing and I said "swap rods with me if you're done fishing, let me see if I can at least catch 1 fish" and she did. Within a couple casts I had finally caught a fish and then another...then lost one about 14-15 inches long. The rain got harder and I decided it was time to go. I was happy just in catching A fish...even though she beat me on numbers of them for the day. BUT...I had to make that one last cast. And there she was.

This fish is a short fish but had a big girth on her. She was fat. I would have guessed her to be 18 inches and about 4 lbs had she of got away from me. She ended up being 20 inches and depending on what scale we put her on...one set of my scales said 5.02 lbs and the other said 4.98. I just figured I'd split the diff and say 5 lbs even. She missed being a TARP by several inches but is still my PB rainbow trout that I have actually landed. Tuesday must be my lucky fishing day...every big fish I have hooked this year has been on a Tuesday afternoon. I was tickled to death to have caught her. I told my wife she gave up a few casts too soon...she had the magic lure for the day for sure! I would have never thought of tying on a purple spinner but she had picked it out when I was ordering some and I'm glad she did! I've ordered us about 6 more of them now. Haha.

Resized_20200505_161439 by Daniel Teague, on Flickr

Cool CT!

I have been wanting to go back down to Tellico and fish that myself. There's a lot of pretty water down there.

I've only been trout fishing one weekend in my life and that was at my buddy's place on the Little Red River in Arkansas last summer. I can't imagine how hard a 5 pounder would pull on your string. The 1 pounders are a blast to catch on an ultralight.

Back