• Help Support TNDeer:

New challenge

The farthest I've ever killed a deer was 348 yards in the center of neck. Just a .30-06 with 150 gr Hornady handloads. Wasn't too hard really. But, I've never practiced any farther than about 300 yards.

Had someone shooting off a bench say he was good out to 300. Put a deer target out rather than a hi viz orange dot. Removed the led sled and had him shoot. He hit the deer in the ear.

Had someone shooting off a bench say he was good out to 300. Put a deer target out rather than a hi viz orange dot. Removed the led sled and had him shoot. He hit the deer in the ear.

Dang he is good. Free piercings at 300yds.

I can't do that.

The guys I went on the elk hunt with begrudgingly agreed to starting at 400yds. We were in a boat headed up lake to our 400yd spot and I hear, "I said we'd start at 400."

Yeah, that's where we are going….

Silence…..

"Well, we said 400."

Yes

We get out on the bank and dude says, "there's no F'ing way that's 400yds"

I toss him a range finder

"404, I'll be damned."

Their hopes of a 1200yd elk kill were dashed immediately after that, lol.

Kinda crazy how many 300+ yd shots on deer end up being in the 170-190 range when you put a range finder or GPS on them…😁

It's kinda like after action ground shrinkage.🙄😁

Kinda crazy how many 300+ yd shots on deer end up being in the 170-190 range when you put a range finder or GPS on them…😁

It's kinda like after action ground shrinkage.🙄😁

Lots of 300-400yds shots up here.

Shooter on one ridge, deer on another

Shoots deer, count every step across the ridge, down the ridge, across the holler, up the other side to where you find the deer

Yep, 407 steps!

Total distance of air between deer and shooter, 76yds lol

Shoots deer, count every step across the ridge, down the ridge, across the holler, up the other side to where you find the deer

Yep, 407 steps!

And counting all the meandering in between as well! 😁

Yep, 407 steps!

lol yep. That's what I'm talking about!

A cold bore shot is the ONLY shot that matters on a hunting rifle, hence the reason mine are all cold bore zeroed. And I only saw one shot that completely missed and then a gut shot. The rest of them killed the crap out of that deer. Also, I think his MOA dot was a little small, iot should have been 5 inches at that distance, it looked to be about 3 to me.
Like I said earlier, Id give that a go.
Every shot yo to the last 2 would have had someone saying, "yep. That exactly where I planned to hit it."

Latest posts

Back